SRX

View Only
last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
  • 1.  SRX4200 alarm FPC Inefficient Port Mapping

Posted 03-29-2022 05:50
    Hi guys

I have a pair of srx4200 running cluster. On node 1, there is an alarm as follows:

{primary:node0}
    SRX42000>show chassis alarms
    node0:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    No alarms currently active

node1:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1 alarms currently active
    Alarm time Class Description
    2022-03-29 00:59:46 -07 Minor FPC Inefficient Port Mapping

I don't see any information about it, what should I do to solve this problem

Thank!

------------------------------
    NAM PHAM

• 2.  RE: SRX4200 alarm FPC Inefficient Port Mapping

Posted 03-31-2022 11:19
    Hi,

is it new installation? or previously good then suddenly that alarm appear?

Thanks

• 3.  RE: SRX4200 alarm FPC Inefficient Port Mapping

Posted 09-29-2022 13:51
    Edited by Michael 09-29-2022 14:13

We recently purchased a new pair of SRX4200s. I chose to do a quick test of physical ports prior to preparing for deployment. That seemed to go ok, but I wasn't sure how to test the CTL and FAB HA ports.
    https://www.juniper.net/documentation/us/en/hardware/srx4200/topics/topic-map/srx4200-chassis.html

While I was doing that (port test), I noticed that the Status Light was not working, I put in a JTAC ticket in case there was some way to manually manipulate and test that light. I was told to reboot, then upgrade to the suggested version.
    While I was doing that (upgrade), I noticed that the red status light was intermittently coming on and going off in no specific pattern (I have video). In the end the status light still does not work AND I wondered if there were any alarms, which I could not tell due to the faulty status light. It turns out that I also got

root> show chassis alarms
    1 alarms currently active
    Alarm time Class Description
    2022-09-30 01:25:45 UTC Minor FPC Inefficient Port Mapping

I suspect this is a "feature" of the suggested version (It's on 21.2R3-S2.9), as I have not changed this SRX from the default configuration. I just wanted to let others know.

Hopefully my reseller will get me a new "new SRX4200".

@NAM PHAM, what version are you on?

Michael

• 4.  RE: SRX4200 alarm FPC Inefficient Port Mapping

Posted 10-28-2022 13:58

We are running into the exact same issue.  I'm convinced it's a bug.

We have two brand new SRX4200's, both booted fresh with zero issues, zero alarms etc.  Built out a default chassis cluster and now have the exact same error you're showing.

To test I broke apart the cluster and the error cleared from the node.

We are on 22.2R1.9

What's strange for us is this started on node1 and then eventually happened on node0 as well.  It's like node0 inherited the error.

• 5.  RE: SRX4200 alarm FPC Inefficient Port Mapping

Posted 02-27-2023 06:44

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/us/en/hardware/srx4200/topics/topic-map/srx4200-chassis.html

NOTE: 

Ports 0/0 to 0/3 are part of a port group that is connected to one CPU socket. Similarly, ports 0/4 to 0/7 form another port group and are connected to a different CPU socket.

When choosing ports for network traffic, ensure that you use the ports equally from each socket so that the traffic is evenly distributed, and the CPU load is balanced. For example, if you plan to use two ports, then choose one port from each socket. If the network traffic passes only through the ports in one group, you might encounter performance and load balancing issues.

If you use ports equally from both groups then the alarm should disappear.

MAIT KINK

• 6.  RE: SRX4200 alarm FPC Inefficient Port Mapping

Posted 02-27-2023 10:11

That is a noteworthy note. And I found the documentation connecting the alarm to condition.

FPC Inefficient Port Mapping, which has obviously been added since the I searched for it the first time.

However, when that alarm occurred, the factory default config was in effect, and there were no SFP+ modules in the chassis.

Additionally, now that it's in production, port 0/0, 0/1 and 0/3 are being used on both nodes of the cluster and no ports from block 0/4 - 0/7 are being used, which seems very unequal, yet the alarm is not occurring.

This seems contradictory to me. Regardless, no alarm, no foul.

Michael

• 7.  RE: SRX4200 alarm FPC Inefficient Port Mapping

Posted 12-28-2023 11:31

I see that since my last post, KB71581 article was posted. Then I upgraded and got the alarm again. Then I upgraded the distribution switch on the inside of the firewall and had problems with traffic flow. I failed traffic between nodes, which cleared things up.

I will look into rearranging the ports to balance the load.

I see that article KB74448 indicates that even after balancing, the alarm may not occur, but logs may be generated. Fortunately, I'm on a fixed version.

Interestingly, I have an SRX4100 cluster, with the same JunOS version as the SRX4200 cluster, where port 0/0, 0/1 are being used on both nodes of the cluster and no ports from block 0/4 - 0/7 are being used, yet I do _not_ have an alarm on that cluster, which seems inconsistent with KB71581

Michael