SRX

View Only
last person joined: 12 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
  • 1.  SRX4100 Vlans and Trunks

Posted 02-07-2023 17:08
    I am really struggling on this one.  I am very new to Juniper but come back from an exclusive Cisco background.  I am trying to configure the SRX for access ports and trunk ports but not having much success figuring it out.  I have 3 ports that I want in VLAN 5 and 2 Ports in VLAN 18.  Then I have one port that needs to be a trunk for VLAN 5 and 25 and then finally have a port that needs to be a trunk for VLAN 5, 25 and 28.  I have been bouncing around google and I am seeing some saying you have to  family ethernet switching but missing the command to turn the port into a trunk port and others saying the SRX doesn't support that so you have to configure it a different way.  Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

------------------------------
    Malcolm Wood

• 2.  RE: SRX4100 Vlans and Trunks

Posted 02-10-2023 17:47

Hi Malcolm, 

You can configure an SRX to act as you would expect an EX switch. 
    First, you must ensure to enable Switching mode, as this is not the default.

set protocols l2-learning global-mode switching

Restart the SRX to apply this change.

Then you will be able to configure your interfaces as desired...

set interfaces ge-0/0/1 unit 0 family ethernet-switching interface-mode access vlan members VLAN_5

set interfaces ge-0/0/2 unit 0 family ethernet-switching interface-mode access vlan members VLAN_18

set interfaces ge-0/0/3 unit 0 family ethernet-switching interface-mode trunk vlan members VLAN_5
    set interfaces ge-0/0/3 unit 0 family ethernet-switching interface-mode trunk vlan members VLAN_25

set interfaces ge-0/0/4 unit 0 family ethernet-switching interface-mode trunk vlan members VLAN_5
    set interfaces ge-0/0/4 unit 0 family ethernet-switching interface-mode trunk vlan members VLAN_25
    set interfaces ge-0/0/4 unit 0 family ethernet-switching interface-mode trunk vlan members VLAN_28

Define your VLANs

set vlans VLAN_5 vlan-id 5
    set vlans VLAN_18 vlan-id 18
    set vlans VLAN_25 vlan-id 25
    set vlans VLAN_28 vlan-id 28

GAVIN WHITE

• 3.  RE: SRX4100 Vlans and Trunks

Posted 02-24-2023 10:38

Sorry for the delay, I had to go on  a few trips and couldn't get back to this until today.  That worked like a charm!  The thing I did notice is the SRX 4100 is saying;

protocols {

l2-learning (

##

## Warning: statement ignored: unsupported platform (srx4100)

##

global-mode switching

The other thing is I am noticing traffic is barely moving through that interface.  I can ping through it, but anything like SSH or more fails to pass through.  Its a 10GB port.

Malcolm Wood

• 4.  RE: SRX4100 Vlans and Trunks

Posted 02-24-2023 18:49

Not paying attention to the fact the large title says SRX4100, I totally missed this point. So Ethernet Switching is only available on Branch Model SRXs. Please refer to the following article.... https://apps.juniper.net/feature-explorer/feature-info.html?fKey=5916&fn=Ethernet%20port%20switching 
    It appears that Transparent Bridging is out of the question as well... https://apps.juniper.net/feature-explorer/feature-info.html?fKey=474&fn=L2%20Transparent
    Hmm, I get conflicting results here as this instructional excludes SRX4100 and the Feature Explorer says "yes".
    Instructional - https://supportportal.juniper.net/s/article/SRX-Configuration-Example-Transparent-mode-on-SRX-platforms?language=en_US
    Feature Explorer - https://apps.juniper.net/feature-explorer/feature-info.html?fKey=6920&fn=Layer%202%20Transparent%20Mode

Sorry, I can't be more helpful, I don't have an SRX4100 to play with right now.

GAVIN WHITE