Junos OS

View Only
last person joined: 5 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  QFX 5110 - getting error: number of AE devices configured 16 is more than device-count 15.

Posted 08-29-2022 17:06
    Edited by spuluka 08-30-2022 06:09
    Dear Community ,
    I would really appreciate your help on this issue that we have  :

My question is if we increase the device count to say 24 or 32  are we going to expirence any issues or routing problems with the exsiting routing  or configured AEs ( other 15 LACP ae which already configured on the system ) ?
    On the same subject : we are really concerned that this will cause or make the access to the system blocked on certain services on the switche ?
    Does anyone have any expirence with this kind of situtation ?
    is it safe to increase the device-count number ?

Many thanks for your help /advice in advance .
    Best Regards 
    David 

PS : our Junos version is 18.1R3

------------------------------
    David Rad

• 2.  RE: QFX 5110 - getting error: number of AE devices configured 16 is more than device-count 15.
    Best Answer

Posted 08-29-2022 19:52
    Hi David, there is not operational impact for increasing the device count

LUIS W FLOR GONZA

• 3.  RE: QFX 5110 - getting error: number of AE devices configured 16 is more than device-count 15.

Posted 08-29-2022 19:53
    Dear Luis ,
    Many thanks for your help i really appreciate it .
    So if i understand this correctlly we simply need to increase the device-count and everything will countinu to operate normally on our system ( VCs , AEs , Routing table , etc.. ) .
    My appologies that i'm repeating the question is just that we simply can't find anything on the internet regarding how device-count may  impact or cuase operntional issues after commit .
    One more question if i may , the switch by default comes with 15 count or this MUST be configured in advance before adding any AEs ?

This is the article that we relay on in order to increase the device-count to 64 ( hope that 64 is not abit to hight for the system ) .
    https://www.juniper.net/documentation/us/en/software/junos/interfaces-ethernet-switches/topics/ref/statement/aggregated-devices-chassis-qfx-series.html

Again Many thanks for taking the time to reply my question .

Warm Regargds ,
    David

David Rad

• 4.  RE: QFX 5110 - getting error: number of AE devices configured 16 is more than device-count 15.

Posted 08-30-2022 01:52
    Hi,

The number of ae support depend to Device Model itself. It's doesnt matter if in the beginning u set to 64 or u start from small number.

Thanks

• 5.  RE: QFX 5110 - getting error: number of AE devices configured 16 is more than device-count 15.

Posted 08-30-2022 03:52
    Hi kronicklez
    Many thanks for your input , We have increased it  based on the number of AEs we need  at the moment 21 i guess we will increase this number whenever we will need more AEs .
    The way we understand it the JUNOS is limited to 128 AEs meaning  from AE0 --> AE128 .
    Many thanks to both of you for your time replying my question .
    Regards,
    David

David Rad

• 6.  RE: QFX 5110 - getting error: number of AE devices configured 16 is more than device-count 15.

Posted 08-30-2022 15:43

128 ae's = ae0 to ae127. Maximum ae count depends on platform and can be as low as 32 and as high as 1000. 

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/us/en/software/junos/interfaces-ethernet-switches/topics/topic-map/switches-interface-aggregated.html

• 7.  RE: QFX 5110 - getting error: number of AE devices configured 16 is more than device-count 15.

Posted 08-31-2022 04:37
    To give some historical perspective on why this command is (likely) still here:

In the past when you set a number for the device-count in a Juniper device it would pre-create the AE interfaces for you. So if you set it to device-count 16 you would already have ae0 through to ae15 present on your device, even if you didnt configure them. As it of course can be very tedious when your device has 30 "useless" interfaces in the overview when all you needed are 2 AE interfaces, this command could be used to set the desired number.

Nowadays in Junos this is no longer the case, so even if you were to set it to device-count 128 it wouldnt create the interfaces for you anymore, and you can dynamically create them with any AE number you like (so for example even if you have device-count 128 it is no problem to create interface AE1234, as long as you stay below 128 total AE interfaces). As such the device-count is mostly a bit of a legacy command these days.
    I'm sure there are some incredibly minor resource impacts by allocating more in the device-count but with modern hardware that would be so negligible that you can safely set the count to a high number without noticing anything (we have it at 50 as default on most devices for example, as for most devices that essentially means all ports can be LACP without issue, and never had any noticeable problems with that)

• 8.  RE: QFX 5110 - getting error: number of AE devices configured 16 is more than device-count 15.

Posted 08-31-2022 07:55
    Hi,

markw: I'm aware of the separation between the ae-numbering scheme and the max number of ae (device-count), that was introduced in JunOS 14.2 under the name «Aggregated Ethernet-specific naming for logical systems»:
    https://apps.juniper.net/feature-explorer/feature-info.html?fKey=6642&fn=Aggregated%20Ethernet-specific%20naming%20for%20logical%20systems

However, I understood that it was only available in MX series, not in EX/SRX/QFX (on which you still have to use incremental numbering starting from 0) ?

Olivier Benghozi

• 9.  RE: QFX 5110 - getting error: number of AE devices configured 16 is more than device-count 15.

Posted 08-31-2022 08:26
    Edited by markw 08-31-2022 08:27
    Nope that is definitely not the case. We have many QFX5110 and 5120 switches and these are most definitely not numbering AE's incrementally from 0. Fairly sure the same applies for our EX3400 switches, but I've been less hands-on with those.