SRX

View Only
last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
  • 1.  Preferred default route when both interfaces dynamic

Posted 11-07-2022 10:25

How do I apply a preference (or assign a metric) to a given interface over another, for a device's default route, when both interfaces use dynamically assigned addresses from the service provider? Changing either to static is not an option.

Aside from issues around interface redundancy, the device works fine otherwise e.g. internet access and so on.

• 2.  RE: Preferred default route when both interfaces dynamic

Posted 11-07-2022 12:14
    Hello, 

you can create two separate routing instances and assign the interfaces to them respectively. 
    From inet you can give route towards one routing instance table. 
    If you are planning for interface redundancy, where both interface has dynamic address, we would have to play around with  "next-table" or rpm with event-options. 

set routing-options static route 0/0 next-table test preference xx

Regards,

------------------------------
    Brijil R
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Preferred default route when both interfaces dynamic

Posted 11-08-2022 02:51
    Thank you for your reply.

Whilst I have a sense of what you talk about here, unfortunately I don't have the required skills or knowledge to take this any further.

• 4.  RE: Preferred default route when both interfaces dynamic
    Best Answer

Posted 11-08-2022 12:57
    I think I may have a very simple solution to this problem, avoiding the complexity of separate routing instances and tables etc. I have assigned a metric to the appropriate interface under family inet dhcp. It appears to be working as hoped.