Routing

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  Multicast not going in both directions

Posted 07-12-2022 09:58
    Hello folks,

I currently have GRE tunnels (Sparse and Dense mode both work with PIM in same capacity).  What I am finding is this (SRX 300):

-I can receive traffic no problem from  Cisco router to my workstation for multicast (via the SRX in front of the workstation)
    -I cannot SEND multicast out.  On further inspection it shows:

run show multicast route extensive
    source 192.168.10.5/32
    upstream interface: irb.100
    Number of outgoing interfaces: 0
    279 packets
    Active route
    forwarding Pruned
    next hop id : 0

so essentially im getting traffic coming in no problem but i need to also send traffic back out (its a two way system) and it refuses to see any valid path.  It sees the multicast coming in to the router but then just fails to do anything...im showing no errors on PIM either using dense or sparse for routing....

For working (inbound) multicast it has next hop id and shows both upstream and downstream interface lists.  Cisco to Cisco also has no issues its just the Juniper when trying to send data out its not seeing the correct path to transmit.  There are unicast routes available that have no issues.

Thank you!

------------------------------
    Christopher Hill

• 2.  RE: Multicast not going in both directions

Posted 07-12-2022 10:19
    You have a Stateful, BiDirectional, Multicast Application?  That is quite unusual.  Based on your Mcast address, I assume this is SSM.  Do you have a join request for the response (s,g) for the return traffic?  I would guess that you do not.  Also, what does your flow session table say?  You may want to put a static join for the return traffic and then see if things work.

David Divins

• 3.  RE: Multicast not going in both directions

Posted 07-12-2022 16:38
    Hi David, I guess since its in Sparse mode its not really stateful anymore...

Its an intercom system...

I ended up getting it to work with Sparse Mode..once i shutdown the tunnels and restarted them it started working thanks for your help :)

It only worked one way with Dense mode but Sparse is now working.

Christopher Hill