Wireless

View Only
last person joined: 16 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences with Mist APs, Marvis, and all things wireless and Wi-Fi.
  • 1.  Mist EDGE explanation

Posted 08-18-2022 09:56
    Hello

Maybe a dumb question, but I cant seem to find a clear answer.
    Can someone confirm that this a correct understanding of how it works:

I set my AP with an SSID and have that mapped to a VLAN "100".
    I configure the AP to tunnel this vlan to the mist edge to the Tunnel IP.

my client attaches to the SSID and the traffic is tunneled to the Mist EDGE and the dumped out the uplink port on vlan "100"?

this is essentially a L2 stretch?  So I need to have DHCP scopes etc provided from my upstream device on vlan "100"?

Is this a correct understanding?

------------------------------
    William Jackson
    ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Mist EDGE explanation

Posted 08-19-2022 07:50
    Hi,

Just imagine u extend SSID from your office to your home. That's the purpose of Mist Edge.

Thanks

• 3.  RE: Mist EDGE explanation

Posted 10-13-2022 04:20
    Yes, I think you described it very well! You do not need VLAN 100 at the AP, so you can tunnel the client traffic in some other VLAN, or route it back to Edge. Edge needs VLAN 100 and all services like DHCP et al need to be reachable from VLAN 100 (in your example).

The AP still needs to be able to boot (DHCP et al) in the VLAN it is placed and connect to Mist. If you stage the APs and activate "Config Persistance" (in Organization/Site Config), you can still boot them in a sealed off network that can only reach Edge, but they need DNS, NTP and DHCP (or fixed IP) in order to get up and running (I think, even if they cannot reach the cloud). Edge is supposed to be able to proxy the AP cloud connection in the future, whenever that is :)