SD-WAN

View Only
last person joined: 6 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences with SD-WAN and Session Smart Router (formerly 128T).
  • 1.  Limitations of EOSVR

Posted 08-01-2022 18:52
    Currently, the EoSVR feature is only supported for point to point layer 2 services. Is there any chance that this may change to support a point to multipoint or a many to many scenario? 

We have a door access system that requires that the controller and devices be on the same layer 2 network. We have successfully implemented EoSVR to bridge a layer 2 network just for these door access devices at 2 locations. So, at Location A we have a network interface configured on VLAN 11 as the gateway and DHCP server for these door access devices and we have the controller for the Door Access devices tagged with VLAN 11 as well as the door access devices themselves. Then we have an EoSVR Bridge configured between Location A and Location B. We tag the switch ports that the door access devices are plugged into at Location B with VLAN 11 as well and they are able to talk to the controller as if they are on the same layer 2 network. Awesome, it works! But now I want to add door access to Location C and D with the same EoSVR bridge to Location A concept, and I don't think I'm able to. Is there a way to make this work?

------------------------------
    Austin Stoffel
    Systems Administrator

• 2.  RE: Limitations of EOSVR

Posted 08-02-2022 10:23
    Austin - MultiPoint EoSVR is a roadmap item. Check with our account team on when it will be delivered.

That said, there is a workaround.  If you utilize an external switch at your HUB location, you could bridge two EoSVR connections. See the rough diagram below. Be careful to avoid loops etc. Also, depending on your deployment, an external switch might be a better option than a v-switch.

FYI I have deployed this in a production network to achieve some interesting customer objectives - it worked quite well.  Also, it's possible you may need to adjust EoSVR session timeout so just keep that in mind. 

EoSVR MultiPoint Workaround

Robert Schumann
    Senior Sales Engineer

• 3.  RE: Limitations of EOSVR

Posted 08-02-2022 12:14
    Thanks Robert, could you explain this a little more in depth? I'm not really sure how the external switch would apply in our scenario?

Austin Stoffel
    Systems Administrator

• 4.  RE: Limitations of EOSVR

Posted 08-02-2022 13:36
    Basically, what you need to do is bridge those two broadcast domains.

So let's assume we create two EoSVR bridges. So A (For Spoke-1) & B (For Spoke-2) correspond to ports 2 & 3 on the SSR in the hub.

The traffic flow would be

1. Device at Spoke 1 sends broadcast out 
    2. Broadcast enters Spoke-1 Router
    3. Broadcast is sent via EoSVR to Hub
    4. Hub sends broadcast out Port 2
    5. Broadcast enters Switch - Switch sends broadcast out to other ports on the same L2
    6. Broadcast enters Port 3 on Hub
    7. Hub sends broadcast across EoSVR to Spoke-2
    8. Spoke-2 sends Broadcast out interfaces where EoSVR was configured

Robert Schumann
    Senior Sales Engineer

• 5.  RE: Limitations of EOSVR

Posted 04-14-2023 13:30

I am finally getting back to this EoSVR scenario and testing connecting the second EoSVR bridge. I have it configured the same as the first one, but with different names for the service, service routes, and bridge. The configs are applied and not showing any errors. I have a device connected to VLAN 11 at location C, it is trying to ask for an IP via DHCP, which I can see via PCAPs that the DHCP service at the hub is receiving and responding to, but the DHCP response is not making it back across the EoSVR Bridge to the device. I can't find out what would be different between the two EoSVR bridge configurations, but the second one just isn't getting traffic back to location c.

Austin Stoffel
    Systems Administrator

• 6.  RE: Limitations of EOSVR

Posted 04-17-2023 13:45

The issue was on my end, I missed a setting on one side of the EoSVR Bridge. It is now connected and running! Also, it looks that as of Version 5.5.3 , the external switch is no longer required. Both of my EoSVR Bridges are using the same VLAN and I'm not getting any error or seeing any issues.

Austin Stoffel
    Systems Administrator