Junos OS

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  ¿Leap of faith?: upgrade on MX104 from version 13 to version 20. ¿ Can I do it in one step?

Posted 01-13-2023 15:34
    Dear team:

First some background :o)
    My customer wants to upgrade the JUNOS of one MX104 router from its current version 13.3r3 to version 21.2. A giant leap!
    The current state of the router is "factory default". Fully operational, but doing nothing. No traffic passing through it.

I have been recommended many times to execute the upgrade as a set of accumulative software upgrades up to the destination version . But I wonder if, in this case, this boring process of intermediate JUNOS upgrades can be avoided. 

¿ Can I just put the corresponding "install package" of version 21.2 on the /var/tmp of this router and execute the classical "request system software add /var/tmp/<name of the package> no-copy no-validate" command? I believe so. 

Please remember this router is doing nothing useful. In fact, it actually has the factory default configuration. So I have total freedom to execute at will, but I want to execute as fast as possible :o) 

Your kind hints will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

Rogelio Alvez

• 2.  RE: ¿Leap of faith?: upgrade on MX104 from version 13 to version 20. ¿ Can I do it in one step?

Posted 01-13-2023 18:47
    Hello.
    try updating with a direct 21.2 via "Install Media" from usb stick.

• 3.  RE: ¿Leap of faith?: upgrade on MX104 from version 13 to version 20. ¿ Can I do it in one step?

Posted 01-26-2023 20:24
    The standard upgrade will not be supported and likely cause issues.

Create a bootable usb with snapshot
    Boot from this usb
    run the install with media format from the usb as a clean install

------------------------------
    Steve Puluka BSEET - Juniper Ambassador
    IP Architect - DQE Communications Pittsburgh, PA (Metro Ethernet & ISP - Retired)
    http://puluka.com/home
    ------------------------------

• 4.  RE: ¿Leap of faith?: upgrade on MX104 from version 13 to version 20. ¿ Can I do it in one step?

Posted 01-27-2023 05:40
    Hello Steve!

Yes. I finally followed the advice as mentioned by you and other colleagues in this forum, and executed from a bootable USB. Everything ran smoothly and the process took no longer than 10 minutes.

Thanks!
    Rogelio