Junos OS

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  Juniper MX 2800 / WLC 2800 - CLI Password Reset - Space not prompting

Posted 10-29-2022 19:54

Hello,

I recently bought one Juniper Controller WLC 2800 / MX 2800.

The ROOT password can't be provided because it's not known, this was purchased from Ebay.

The controller is working, NO bad status - everything is fine.

In order for me to reset the Root password I have to get in into the Loader mode.

To interrupt the Boot sequence at the beginning right after I'm plugging in the Juniper WLC 2800 with the power cord and follow the screen being connected Via Serial Connection using Serial Port and PUTTY on Serial connection.

The Juniper console is working just that I have the following problem:

- No prompt for choosing Space Bar at the beginning in order for me to go on the Loader mode and run the commands for the Root Reset procedure starting with "boot -s" and so on.

- Instead the only prompt showing is for the Boot mode - Q plus Enter.

- The controller only starts in BOOT mode by pressing Q plus Enter.

I tried different methods, cables, other buttons and so on - nothing - I cannot enter in the Loader mode.

In the past I used the exact same process to configure other two controllers, everything worked fine!

- Why don't the Controller prompts for Space before the booting sequence?

- Does anyone know how to get into the Loader mode in this case?

The only mode I can get in is the Boot Mode which is limited with some commands that allowed me to change the Boot Default and so on - I tried, I changed the default Boot from 1 to zero - loading another image but it's the same! I changed it back to default.

Nothing relevant via the Internet Research, just that it could be in the Boot Mode and something related to Jtac.

Video and images: https://s.go.ro/b9zmyk5e - LINK OK / secure!

Please help!

Thanks!!!

• 2.  RE: Juniper MX 2800 / WLC 2800 - CLI Password Reset - Space not prompting

Posted 11-08-2022 10:33
    Hello,

Do you have any ideas that could help me out with this?
    - The strange thing is that around 2-3 years ago I have set using the same method another Juniper machine / model WLC8 and using the same cable and setup the Space prompt was showing and following the instructions I have reset the Root Password.
    - Also, this time I have also tried on that old machine to see if the space bar is prompting now and it's not! even in the past was, this is the strange part.
    - So, with both machines - the old one WLC8 and the current one WLC2800 - the space bar is not prompting via the CLI and I cannot access the Loader Menu.
    - The only accessible menu is the Boot one that is limited.
    Do you have maybe other suggestions that I can try and the reason why the space bar prompt anymore?

Thanks!

• 3.  RE: Juniper MX 2800 / WLC 2800 - CLI Password Reset - Space not prompting

Posted 11-09-2022 18:52
    I don't have any 2800's here, but I seem to recall that they have some sort of CF memory or similar. Perhaps you can remove that and either edit the config file or simply delete it. Opening the unit will not affect the warranty (anymore) ;)

• 4.  RE: Juniper MX 2800 / WLC 2800 - CLI Password Reset - Space not prompting

Posted 12-26-2022 03:17
    There is no CF memory card.
    What I tried so far is to connect from Linux with Minicom, It's the same thing.
    I also tried by Serial to LAN special adapters, in this way the serial connection doesn't work at all.
    I tried using the LAN Serial from the front of the machine but, also the special LAN from inside the case - it's not connecting at all.
    The only working connection is the one using the Serial to Serial direct cable.
    But in here the problem still persist, the space bar prompt is not appearing when booting.
    I tried using linux, ubuntu to connect like another thread from Juniper Community said it worked configuring the serial parameters but it's the same.

Any ideas?

Thanks

• 5.  RE: Juniper MX 2800 / WLC 2800 - CLI Password Reset - Space not prompting

Posted 12-28-2022 07:27
    Hi,

I can't see too much things on your video unfortunately, but if you don't need the current config at all, try to make a bootable usb with the requested junos, boot from there, install it and you won't need password recovery then.

------------------------------
    BALAZS KISS

• 6.  RE: Juniper MX 2800 / WLC 2800 - CLI Password Reset - Space not prompting

Posted 12-29-2022 09:24
    I solved the problem.
    It was nod needed to reset the root password.
    I just hit enter on both usernames and password.

Afterwards I entered in enable mode without any usernane and password, just enter.

Before all of these I changed the boot image, from a new version to the default one.
    I think that older image had no passwords set.

After enable mode with # showing I was ebale to set the OP for web view.
    From there it was easy.

Miron

On Wed, Dec 28, 2022, 14:28 BALAZS KISS via Juniper Networks <Mail@community.juniper.net> wrote:
    Hi, I can't see too much things on your video unfortunately, but if you don't need the current config at all, try to make a bootable usb with the...
    Earn 6 Juniper certifications.
    Free training/Discounted exams
    Juniper Email Header

Junos OS

Post New Message
    Re: Juniper MX 2800 / WLC 2800 - CLI Password Reset - Space not prompting
    Reply to Group Reply to Sender
    Dec 28, 2022 7:27 AM
    BALAZS KISS
    Hi,

I can't see too much things on your video unfortunately, but if you don't need the current config at all, try to make a bootable usb with the requested junos, boot from there, install it and you won't need password recovery then.

BALAZS KISS
      Reply to Group Online   View Thread   Recommend   Forward   Flag as Inappropriate  

You are receiving this message because you followed the 'Juniper MX 2800 / WLC 2800 - CLI Password Reset - Space not prompting' message thread. To unsubscribe from this message thread, go to Unsubscribe.

Update your email preferences to choose the types of email you receive

Unsubscribe from all participation emails

Original Message:
    Sent: 12/28/2022 4:05:00 AM
    Subject: RE: Juniper MX 2800 / WLC 2800 - CLI Password Reset - Space not prompting

Hi,

BALAZS KISS

Original Message:
    Sent: 12-26-2022 03:17
    Subject: Juniper MX 2800 / WLC 2800 - CLI Password Reset - Space not prompting

There is no CF memory card.
    What I tried so far is to connect from Linux with Minicom, It's the same thing.
    I also tried by Serial to LAN special adapters, in this way the serial connection doesn't work at all.
    I tried using the LAN Serial from the front of the machine but, also the special LAN from inside the case - it's not connecting at all.
    The only working connection is the one using the Serial to Serial direct cable.
    But in here the problem still persist, the space bar prompt is not appearing when booting.
    I tried using linux, ubuntu to connect like another thread from Juniper Community said it worked configuring the serial parameters but it's the same.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Original Message:
    Sent: 11-09-2022 14:18

I don't have any 2800's here, but I seem to recall that they have some sort of CF memory or similar. Perhaps you can remove that and either edit the config file or simply delete it. Opening the unit will not affect the warranty (anymore) ;)
    Original Message:
    Sent: 11-08-2022 05:41

Hello,

Do you have any ideas that could help me out with this?
    - The strange thing is that around 2-3 years ago I have set using the same method another Juniper machine / model WLC8 and using the same cable and setup the Space prompt was showing and following the instructions I have reset the Root Password.
    - Also, this time I have also tried on that old machine to see if the space bar is prompting now and it's not! even in the past was, this is the strange part.
    - So, with both machines - the old one WLC8 and the current one WLC2800 - the space bar is not prompting via the CLI and I cannot access the Loader Menu.
    - The only accessible menu is the Boot one that is limited.
    Do you have maybe other suggestions that I can try and the reason why the space bar prompt anymore?

Thanks!
    Original Message:
    Sent: 10-29-2022 12:03

Hello,

I recently bought one Juniper Controller WLC 2800 / MX 2800.

The ROOT password can't be provided because it's not known, this was purchased from Ebay.

The controller is working, NO bad status - everything is fine.

In order for me to reset the Root password I have to get in into the Loader mode.

To interrupt the Boot sequence at the beginning right after I'm plugging in the Juniper WLC 2800 with the power cord and follow the screen being connected Via Serial Connection using Serial Port and PUTTY on Serial connection.

The Juniper console is working just that I have the following problem:

- No prompt for choosing Space Bar at the beginning in order for me to go on the Loader mode and run the commands for the Root Reset procedure starting with "boot -s" and so on.

- Instead the only prompt showing is for the Boot mode - Q plus Enter.

- The controller only starts in BOOT mode by pressing Q plus Enter.

I tried different methods, cables, other buttons and so on - nothing - I cannot enter in the Loader mode.

In the past I used the exact same process to configure other two controllers, everything worked fine!

- Why don't the Controller prompts for Space before the booting sequence?

- Does anyone know how to get into the Loader mode in this case?

The only mode I can get in is the Boot Mode which is limited with some commands that allowed me to change the Boot Default and so on - I tried, I changed the default Boot from 1 to zero - loading another image but it's the same! I changed it back to default.

Nothing relevant via the Internet Research, just that it could be in the Boot Mode and something related to Jtac.

Video and images: https://s.go.ro/b9zmyk5e - LINK OK / secure!

Please help!

Thanks!!!