SD-WAN

View Only
last person joined: 11 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences with SD-WAN and Session Smart Router (formerly 128T).
  • 1.  I have multiple WAN connections, when creating services for internet based services, what options do I have for best path selection?

Posted 02-24-2023 14:03

When creating services for internet based services, what options do I have for path selection? 

We have 2 WAN connections for each SSR router. I know when creating Services between routers, we can use Service Policies to help decide which paths can be used with the Service Level Agreement options. So I can set the maximum allowable Jitter Latency and Loss, or minimum MOS score. That wouldn't be able to applicable for internet based services though, right? For example, I'm testing out setting up the M365 services Microsoft 365 | SSN Docs (juniper.net) but I don't see anything explaining my options for setting up Service Routes or Service Policies, except for this page that is specific to using express route ExpressRoute QoS Configuration | SSN Docs (juniper.net). Since we have two WAN connections at each location, I'd like know if I have the ability to set up Voice services to select the best path automatically?

We are currently looking to migrate from hosting our own PBXs, and switch to a UCaaS solution like Dialpad or 8x8. So, while trialing them, I'd like to see what we can do to optimize our connections to these services. Dialpad has some detailed Network Setup Recommendations that look like it would help setup Application Identification services Network Setup Recommendations – Dialpad

------------------------------
    Austin Stoffel
    Systems Administrator

• 2.  RE: I have multiple WAN connections, when creating services for internet based services, what options do I have for best path selection?

Posted 02-27-2023 11:55

Hi Austin

With 2 WAN locations you can use either JLL or MOS and the SSR will monitor the traffic of each and switch traffic when the thresholds are met.  However, in testing I found some oddities.  First, it seems to learn over time which links are bad.  I had simulated WAN connections and at first the SSR was horrible at switching quickly, but it learned that the WAN connection I was messing with wasn't good and after a couple of hours of changing packet loss rates, the initial switch would happen faster.  One note, the SSR tends to favor latency over any other metric.  With 2 WAN connections and an 90% packet loss on the preferred high speed link and 0% packet loss on the slower high latency link, the SSR would constantly try to switch back to the high speed link which resulted in terrible throughput (significantly slower than the slower high latency link).

Patrick

PATRICK KELLAHER

• 3.  RE: I have multiple WAN connections, when creating services for internet based services, what options do I have for best path selection?

Posted 04-17-2023 14:39
    Edited by Stephen 04-17-2023 14:39

what did you use for your Wan Simulator / virtual wan?

Stephen Elias
    SVP

• 4.  RE: I have multiple WAN connections, when creating services for internet based services, what options do I have for best path selection?

Posted 04-18-2023 12:11

Hi Stephen

I used several VM routers running VyOS to make 3 networks running OSPF internally and BGP externally.  These routers have netem and tc installed which can simulate different network conditions/speeds.  I called each of the three a service provider.  Each provider is a hub-spoke topology (maybe not realistic, but it was simplistic).  Each edge router connected to an SSR (or edge router at a site).

Patrick

PATRICK KELLAHER