Management

View Only
last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences with Junos Space and network management.
  • 1.  How do I use named parameter matching for event notifications?

Posted 10-12-2022 06:04
    Hi Community,

Is anyone able to explain to me how to use this feature. When configuring event notifications in Network Management Platform you can use certain special values to display information received in the event, one of them being a named parameter, which I believe can also be used as a filter so  you can be more granular in which exact events trigger the notification, this is what I'd like to use it for.  Note this is not the parameter index (%parm[#N]%) which I am able to use. 
    I can't seem to get this working, and I can't find any documentation on it, I believe it possibly has something to do with Varbinds within the notification but I'm not getting anywhere with it at the moment.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

• 2.  RE: How do I use named parameter matching for event notifications?

Posted 10-12-2022 06:34

While creating email notifications for events, please use following formats to capture special values in "Text Message".

ifAlias: %parm[ifAlias]%

ifDescr: %parm[ifDescr]%

ifName: %parm[ifName]%

eventid: %eventid%

severity: %severity%

time: %time%

notice: %noticeid%

nodelabel: %nodelabel%

interface: %interface%

service: %service%

interfaceresolve: %interfaceresolve%

This is already defined parameter assignment in Junos Space.

Juniper Business Use Only

• 3.  RE: How do I use named parameter matching for event notifications?

Posted 10-12-2022 07:09
    Hi, thanks for the response.

I have no problem using  the special values you have mentioned, to clarify, when configuring the notification, included in the Special values available is "%parm[a_parm_name]% = Value of a named event parameter"

You are also able to reference a named parameter and value in the "Parameter:" section which I believe enables the notifications to be filtered on this value,   the values input here appear in the Varbinds column when you go to edit an events notification, which led me to believe I need to configure something to do with Varbinds.

Examples:

I can't get the named parameter to work even in the text massage, so I think this is something I maybe need to manually create within the event configuration perhaps?

Is it to do with this section in the event configuration?

Hoping someone can shed some light.

Thanks

• 4.  RE: How do I use named parameter matching for event notifications?

Posted 10-17-2022 05:09
    For anyone who stumbles across this in  the same position  as me, I eventually achieved what I was aiming to by creating unique events rather than notifications, although this still required the use of Varbinds, I believe you can get the named parameter and varbind working for notifications but was easier for me to create events once I understood how it all worked.
    My advice for anyone like me would be to dive into the OpenNMS documention and Regex if not familiar like me.  Took a lot of trial and error and access to the all the related event conf.xml files via CLI was pretty essential to work out why is wasn't doing what I expected at times.