Innovators Circle

View Only
last person joined: 3 days ago 

A research-driven circle where members share feedback to help impact Juniper's direction. Members gain opportunities for rewards through e-gift cards and exclusive content. To become a member, simply click “Join Community” and follow the quick prompts.
  • 1.  Head in the Clouds

Posted 12-06-2022 13:59

Hi everyone! As we head into the final stretch of the year, Juniper has a few interesting questions we would love to get your take on. Your input would allow us to better understand how Juniper customers and partners perceive the use of the word "cloud" in our product names, and that would help Juniper in our naming decisions for future products

o            What does the word "cloud" in a product name mean to you? 

o            What comes to your mind when you see the following product names? 

• Juniper [Product] Cloud 
    • Juniper [Product] Cloud-Native 
    • Juniper [Product] Cloud-Delivered 

(Note: [Product] is intended as a placeholder for any Juniper product. For example, it could be Juniper Security Director Cloud, Juniper Security Director Cloud-Native, and Juniper Security Director Cloud-Delivered.) 

Feel free to write out whatever comes to mind! We are looking forward to your candid thoughts.

Wishing you all a good week, 

Kyla and the Innovators Circle Community

------------------------------
    Kyla Jiayi Zhao

• 2.  RE: Head in the Clouds

Posted 12-07-2022 05:21
    To me at least, it's one of those words that in 80% of product names doesn't mean much at all as it's become a generic buzzword and you have to dig into the description to find out what it really does.

In terms of the example names you use:
    • "[Product] Cloud-Delivered" to me would mean that Juniper will host and run it for me, including keeping it up to date, etc and all I need to do is customize for my use case. Essentially it's "Software as a Service (SaaS)" to use a more common name so "Product as a Service"
    • "[Product] Cloud-Native" could mean one of two things - either that it's delivered in a form which will run on modern cloud technologies (eg containers which I can deploy on Kubernetes or derivative) or that it is a product designed to monitor/manage the internals of a cloud which are usually software defined as opposed to doing the same for a traditional environment with physical components
    • "[Product] Cloud" could mean literally anything you want it to mean

• 3.  RE: Head in the Clouds

Posted 12-07-2022 06:02

o            What does the word "cloud" in a product name mean to you? 
    That a product in general will be hosted in either a public cloud or the product company's cloud made available to customers and has a robust API driven control plane for customer integration for deployment, operations and alert/monitoring.

o            What comes to your mind when you see the following product names? 

• Juniper [Product] Cloud - product running in public or Juniper managed cloud environment.
    • Juniper [Product] Cloud-Native - product runs in a public or Juniper managed cloud environment and is segmented and deployed as services not a simple virtualization of a domain product compute.
    • Juniper [Product] Cloud-Delivered - Not familiar with this term.

Steve Puluka BSEET - Juniper Ambassador
    IP Architect - DQE Communications Pittsburgh, PA (Metro Ethernet & ISP - Retired)
    http://puluka.com/home

• 4.  RE: Head in the Clouds

Posted 12-07-2022 10:05

o            What does the word "cloud" in a product name mean to you? 
    Cloud is a buzzword in the industry, which can mean a lot of different things.  When associated with a product name, I expect that it's something that will reside in the public cloud.  The product would either be accessible via the Internet or be a tool that can be used in public cloud deployments.

• Juniper [Product] Cloud - Expect that we would be able to use this in our own public cloud deployments or to have it be a tool which can be accessed globally because it resides in the cloud.
    • Juniper [Product] Cloud-Native - Same as above but native might indicate that it can't be accessed from anywhere and may be reserved for use only in the cloud.  It's a bit confusing.
    • Juniper [Product] Cloud-Delivered - Even more confusing but I would anticipate that this is a SAAS type offering that corporations would pay for and have Juniper fully manage.

• 5.  RE: Head in the Clouds

Posted 12-07-2022 13:13

Good morning!

What does the word "cloud" in a product name mean to you? Something that is either hosted or has the intentions of being hosted not on-prem. Unfortunately I echo with those above saying it is becoming more of a marketing word than anything. 

• Juniper [Product] Cloud - The suite or overarching product line meant for cloud deployment.
    • Juniper [Product] Cloud-Native - Native to the cloud product?
    • Juniper [Product] Cloud-Delivered - SaaS

BRANDON TRASK

• 6.  RE: Head in the Clouds

Posted 12-07-2022 13:16
    Very simply for me it all means i don't have to host any of the hardware or software at my physical location.

Any term past "Cloud" makes the name murky, ambiguous  and losses my attention.

• 7.  RE: Head in the Clouds

Posted 12-08-2022 10:18
    I'm going to agree with most of what's above.

> What does the word "cloud" in a product name mean to you?
    I would expect this to mean that this is a cloud version of a product that I would otherwise run in my privately-hosted environment.  To follow the example, "Security Director" would be a VM image I run on my own hosts, whether that's in my own physical data center or hosted somewhere.  I am responsible for its maintenance.  OTOH, "Security Director Cloud" would be a SaaS offering that Juniper is hosting and maintaining, and I just have a subscription to use it.

> What comes to your mind when you see the following product names?

> Juniper [Product] Cloud
    Same as above -- differentiating the "you host it" vs. "we host it" product.

> Juniper [Product] Cloud-Native
    I think, if it were used as a unique name for pre-packaged VMs in, e.g., Azure or AWS app marketplaces, that would make some sense.  As in, there's the vanilla version that you host wherever you want, the Cloud version that is a service offering hosted by Juniper, and Cloud-Native which is the vanilla version packaged as a cloud host marketplace product.

I'm not sure it needs to be its own unique name, mind, just that it wouldn't seem wrong.  If I saw the name with no context, I would not really know what to expect that's supposed to mean.

> Juniper [Product] Cloud-Delivered
    I would probably think this is just an overly verbose rephrasing of "[Product] Cloud".  It's a version that Juniper hosts for me.

Now, this is all assuming we're talking about software.  If the word "Cloud" starts getting appended to things like routers and switches, I'm going to assume marketing was told to "use the word Cloud more," and roll my eyes that anyone believes stuff like that matters.  Hardware is inherently the antithesis of Cloud.  Those two have no business together, unless you're building something specifically for one of about four companies to buy and install in massive data centers.  A "QFX 9000 Cloud" would imply that this is a switch that Google should expect to write their own software for, and I can safely ignore it entirely because it probably costs more than the GDP of a small country.

• 8.  RE: Head in the Clouds

Posted 12-20-2022 14:05

o            What does the word "cloud" in a product name mean to you? 

These days, not much. But in general, if I see cloud, I'm thinking hosted and supported in a virtualized environment that could be either leased or hosted in a private datacenter.

o            What comes to your mind when you see the following product names? 

• Juniper [Product] Cloud 
    The category here is so broad as that I would have no idea what actual meaning this is meant to convey.

• Juniper [Product] Cloud-Native 
    Designed and built to be run in a virtualized environment - be it public or private.  This would exclude the virtual versions of physical devices - a vSRX for instance is not something I would think of in regards to Cloud-Native.

• Juniper [Product] Cloud-Delivered 
    A turnkey solution that is either hosted/supported by Juniper or otherwise requires minimal user configuration and maintenance.

• 9.  RE: Head in the Clouds

Posted 12-21-2022 08:27

What does the word "cloud" in a product name mean to you?  Cloud in any product or platform meant to me as virtual entity which can be placed anywhere in the world 

• Juniper [Product] Cloud  -  Cloud enabled product which have capability to operate and run from cloud 
    • Juniper [Product] Cloud-Native - Cloud Native look to me as legacy support with cloud functionality   
    • Juniper [Product] Cloud-Delive -  Cloud Delivery which can only be operate and function from cloud 

AMIT GUMBER
    HCL Technologies Ltd
    NOIDA

• 10.  RE: Head in the Clouds

Posted 12-21-2022 09:30

I feel like as IT folks we all have our heads in the clouds at this point...

Software as a service is ever growing and on premise data centers seem to be shrinking for many industries. What does this really mean though, what are the security implications, and are we creating a hackers paradise?

Now to answer your questions what does the word cloud mean to me. 
    "Cloud" an ambiguous term that can mean just about anything from a cloud ready product that can be containerized to a full SaaS platform.

Cloud Native and Cloud Delivered are two terms that I have not seen anywhere else and honestly in my mind just complicate the product name. The meat of the product is all in the description and less in the name. Look at Juniper MIST the name doesn't mean anything but it is a cloud based configuration and monitoring platform that helps to optimize configurations and detect problems on the fly. 

Generally though I will agree with what others wrote.
    Cloud-Native - Container ready, AWS, Azure, Private cloud, Kubernates deployment
    Cloud-Delivered - Juniper runs and maintains and it is hands off for subscribers.

WADE ARENBERG