Labs

View Only
last person joined: 3 days ago 

Discover how to get the most of Juniper labs and share what you've built.
Expand all | Collapse all

full shutdown of VCP and VFP nodes and reboot of the VM on EVE-NG can sometimes cause all interfaces on vMX and vQFX to not appear

• 1.  full shutdown of VCP and VFP nodes and reboot of the VM on EVE-NG can sometimes cause all interfaces on vMX and vQFX to not appear

Posted 12-13-2022 12:48

Hello All,
    I am having so many hoops to jump through when setting up the virtual environment on EVE-NG. One of these issues is that interfaces are not coming back up on the vMX cluster, or when they do, for no reason decide to stop functioning.
    I have attached the bootup logs and they interfaces most of the time come up after a few mins but then I get this message below from the VCP
    Message from syslogd@LAB-R2 at Dec 13 12:55:10 ...
    LAB-R2 fpc0 CMLC: Going disconnected; Routing engine chassis socket closed abruptly

and from the VFP
    root@localhost:~# hrtimer: interrupt took 51114182 ns

I get a bunch of errors in the attached too, and I don't know why this happens now with existing nodes before the reboot, if i create a new set of nodes it seems to be fine. Until I need to reboot the VM or reboot the vMX by request system power-off

the vMX is runing Junos: 17.4R1.16

the WindRiver Linux VFP 6.0.0.13
    I am unable to view the logs on WindRiver due to root denied permissions
    oot@localhost:~# /var/log/boot
    -sh: /var/log/boot: Permission denied
    root@localhost:~# /var/log/messages
    -sh: /var/log/messages: Permission denied
    root@localhost:~# /var/log/pfe.log
    -sh: /var/log/pfe.log: Permission denied
    root@localhost:~# ^C
    root@localhost:~#

I am unsure if or which Junos logs would help.

I have found it really challenging the set up an EVE-NG server with the Junos Volumes Juniper provide, and any easy help would be appreciated.

------------------------------
    WILLIAM ROULLIER

Attachment(s)

txt
    LAB-VMX-VFP-R2.txt   12 KB 1 version
    txt
    LAB-VMX-VCP-R2.txt   50 KB 1 version

• 2.  RE: full shutdown of VCP and VFP nodes and reboot of the VM on EVE-NG can sometimes cause all interfaces on vMX and vQFX to not appear

Posted 05-31-2023 05:53

Does your server have enough power ? I'm using a bare metal eve and a DELL R720.

I would encorage you to try the newer coder version these seem much better. I tried to maintain older code to match the version in the JNCIE exam blue print and this was a big mistake and cost me many hours looking for problems in my config that did not exist.  

One thing I see is if I start all the VMs at once the lab is not happy at all and never settles down, I have to go around all my VMs starting them one by one in about 10second intervals. 

vMX I'm using  22.3R1.11 and its running well, using OSPF,ISIS,BGP,EVPN only thing that never works well is LACP.  

Also there is a new vEX which I only have 1days experiance with. 

I do wish Juniper packaged this into a single VM like the vEX if just to make my Eve-ng topolgies look tidy :-)

Simon Bingham