Switching

View Only
last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  ex3400-24p automatic / immediate console log out when 'set system ports console log-out-on-disconnect' configured

Posted 03-09-2023 15:32
      |   view attached

We got a new switch and tried to configure it for production with our standard config.  Our standard config contains the command 'set system ports console log-out-on-disconnect'.  After committing the config, it would automatically / immediately log out after EVERY successful login with a local account, which is the only option on the bench.  This seems like a hardware failure where it sees a console disconnect and logs out even though console is clearly not disconnected, as shown by continued console output (see attachment).  This is a repeatable failure.

Has anyone else encountered this failure? It seems like this is possible on any similar hardware.

RMA is currently in process.

------------------------------
    Michael

Attachment(s)

• 2.  RE: ex3400-24p automatic / immediate console log out when 'set system ports console log-out-on-disconnect' configured

Posted 03-15-2023 14:03
    Edited by Michael 03-17-2023 09:24

BTW, someone else on our team tried other JunOS version and different console cables/USB adapters.

The RMA replacement device is doing the same thing. But I have other ex3400-24p that don't have this problem. Is it a bug with the OS, or a hardware problem with certain hardware revisions of the ex3400-24p? I don't have time to waste figuring it out.

The workaround I used while it was still on the bench is "How to Recover the Root Password on Junos OS with Upgraded FreeBSD", except instead of
    `set system root-authentication plain-text-password`
    I used
    `deactivate system ports console log-out-on-disconnect`

Michael

• 3.  RE: ex3400-24p automatic / immediate console log out when 'set system ports console log-out-on-disconnect' configured

Posted 07-18-2023 12:45

Thank you for this post! I've come across the exact same issue with an EX3400-48P stack. Another weird workaround is if you have a stack of switches, connect your console connection on the fpc1 switch to console into the master fpc0 switch. Then deactivate the log-out-on-disconnect as you advised.

LEIF HVIDSTEN

• 4.  RE: ex3400-24p automatic / immediate console log out when 'set system ports console log-out-on-disconnect' configured

Posted 07-19-2023 06:53

This issue does not occur with the EX2300-24P. All are running 21.4R3-S3.4.

LEIF HVIDSTEN