Junos OS

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  Don't Delay, Upgrade from Junos Releases 10.x, 11.x, 13.x Today

Posted 06-01-2023 11:35
    Edited by Jodi Meier 09-06-2023 19:53

Effective July 1, we will no longer accept or action support cases for Junos Releases 10.x,11.x, and 13.x.  

Below are the recommended upgrade steps if you are running Junos Releases 10.x, 11.x, or 13.x in your network: 

*Links in the graphic:  Junos OS Dates and Milestones;   KB21476 - Latest supported version;  Software Downloads Portal

We understand software migrations are a delicate process and are here to help. Start by taking a look at the FAQ notes below for Junos software upgrades. There are links to resources that can help you understand our software support timelines, recommended latest supported versions of Junos for your device, and much more. 

Another key resource to explore is the Junos Software Versions Knowledge Base article; it provides guidance on releases to consider and evaluate by Platform.  

QUESTIONS 

If you have any questions, please reply to the discussion and we will be happy to answer. 

WHY 

Juniper strives to provide the latest cutting-edge technology and features, although we've noticed many customers are still using end of support (EOS) software on their devices. Supporting customers on EOS software spreads our resources thin, and customers aren't taking advantage of our new features and resiliency. 

FAQs 

1. Why should I upgrade?
      1. A newer version of the OS includes new features, enhancements, and bug fixes. Learn more about the benefits of upgrading.
      2. We will no longer accept or action support cases for Junos Releases 10x, 11x, or 13x effective July 1. Don't delay and start your upgrade process today. 
    2. What are the upgrade steps? 
      1. Verify your device is not past its end of life
        1. Refer to End of Life Products and Milestones for device end of life status
      2. Identify software and determine the upgrade path
        1. The Suggested Releases to Consider and Evaluate article has information on device latest supported versions
        2. Junos OS Dates and Milestones can help you understand support timelines
      3. Determine the software upgrade approach and the upgrade path 
        1. If you are upgrading from a very old software release, it is recommended you use the USB method or consider choosing EEOL releases. Refer to the articles below on how to upgrade using USB:
          1. Using USB storage in SRX series when upgrading JUNOS Software
          2. Upgrading Junos on EX2300 and EX3400 (USB instructions halfway down)
        2. For standard JUNOS upgrades, refer to Juniper Technical Documentation for detailed upgrade procedures 
      4. Download software:
        1. The Software Downloads Portal is available for downloading software
        2. If you are unable to locate the desired software, reply to this post with your question. 
      5. Verify Configuration
        1. Test the software upgrade 
      6. Full Network Deployment
        1. Enjoy the new features and resiliency 
    3. Where can I download newer software for my device?
      1. Software can be downloaded from the Software Downloads Portal. You will need your product's (device) name to find the appropriate software.
    4. Where can I find if my device has a last supported software version (LSV)?
      1. This KB article has all the last supported versions for Juniper products
    5. Why is there a last supported version of software for my device?
      1. Juniper devices receive hardware updates as new software features and resiliency are developed. If your device is near or has passed its End of Life date, the newer releases may not function due to differences in components or hardware architecture change requirements.
    6. Where can I find End of Support timelines for available Junos Releases?
      1. This KB article has End of Support timelines for Junos Releases, as well as some hardware-based exceptions
    7. How Juniper can help in planning the upgrade process to avoid any potential risks?
      1. Juniper provides detailed analysis services for software upgrade planning - you can utilize the Software Upgrade Recommendation and Review or Network Optimization Consulting Services to better assess the software release your network should migrate to 
    8. What if I encounter an issue when I am deploying the updated Junos software?
      1. We do our best at Juniper to test all features and upgrade procedures before our software is released, but with so much variability between our products and our competitors, it's tough to foresee and test every customer network configuration. We recommend testing the software upgrade before mass rollout into your network.
      2. If you think the issue is coming from your atypical network, you can utilize the Software Upgrade Recommendation and Review or Network Optimization Consulting Services to better assess the software Release best suited for your network. 
      3. JTAC can help If you think you encountered a bug or gap in our upgrade procedures. Raise a ticket so the issue can be addressed. 
    9. Who can I contact if I have questions and need assistance from Juniper? 
      1. The Elevate Community is where customers can post their questions about upgrading Junos on their device. Juniper has technical personnel monitoring the Community and providing support, and you can also see other customers' questions and answers. 
      2. The Juniper Account Manager or a Juniper Partner Manager assigned to your account will also be available to guide you on the options available. 

Thank you,  

Aditya

**Please note upgrade guidance might not be complete for all implementations or configurations.  Before proceeding with an update please ensure you have tested in a lab environment and/or have a backup copy of the original configuration. If urgent assistance is needed, please open a JTAC ticket (available through June 30, 2023, for Junos 10.x, 11.x, 13.x upgrades).** 

Modification History:

2023-06-07 – added information on how to upgrade using a USB 

------------------------------
    Aditya M

• 2.  RE: Don't Delay, Upgrade from Junos Releases 10.x, 11.x, 13.x Today

Posted 06-14-2023 16:51

Do you need additional assistance upgrading from Junos 10.x, 11.x, or 13.x?

We are hosting a Zoom Ask the Expert Session on Wednesday, June 21, 8:00 AM PDT/11:00 AM EDT/4:00 PM BST/5:00 PM CEST

Our experts will provide migration strategies, address any questions, and gather your feedback. You do not want to miss this opportunity to have firsthand knowledge of what migrating your Junos OS will provide.

You can reply privately to request the dial-in information for the June 21 Ask the Expert Session on upgrading Junos 10.x, 11.x, & 13.  

Please take a moment to review the migration resources Aditya previously shared, and come to the Ask the Expert Session with your questions. 

Jodi Meier

• 3.  RE: Don't Delay, Upgrade from Junos Releases 10.x, 11.x, 13.x Today

Posted 06-21-2023 14:16

Hello all, good day ! 

I tried to upgrade a 2-member Virtual Chassis, comprised of EX4300-32F, 

FROM JUNOS: 14.1X53-D46.7
    TO JUNOS: 21.4R3-S3

I'm trying to find a way to upgrade them without any disruption (don't know if it's possible), tried to use NSSU with no success.

Guidelines I took from JTAC was I should upgrade the VC at once, rebooting the two switches and NSSU is not fully granted. 

Would you have some advise/best practice on how to do it wihtout rebooting the entire VC ?

I really appreciate it.

Kindly regards,

MARCO ANTONIO GALATI RODRIGUES

• 4.  RE: Don't Delay, Upgrade from Junos Releases 10.x, 11.x, 13.x Today

Posted 06-22-2023 06:44

Hello  again Marco,

For best practices pertaining to EX VC upgrades, this is a comprehensive document that you can follow:

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/us/en/software/junos/high-availability/topics/concept/nssu-ex-series.html

Upgrading to a release that is more than three major releases away, is not supported with NSSU. In your combination, the switch needs to be upgraded to multiple intermediate releases before it can be finally upgraded to 21.4. However, there are two things to note here:

1. It needs to be thoroughly tested in the lab with production configuration before it can be attempted in a live environment.

2. There is a supported release matrix for EX or QFX VC upgrades. What that basically means is, there are certain from and to combinations of use cases, only where an NSSU virtual-chassis upgrade will be supported and can be performed without disruptions. You will need to get in touch with the JTAC engineers to see if your combination is supported or not.

As far as the Pre-requisites and CLI procedure are concerned, you may consult this document:

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/us/en/software/junos/high-availability/topics/task/ex-series-software-upgrading-nssu-fixed-virtual-chassis-cli.html

Hope this helps!

Sougata Ray.

Sougata Ray

**Please note upgrade guidance might not be complete for all implementation/configurations. Before proceeding with an update please ensure you have tested in a lab environment and/or a backup copy of the original configuration. If urgent assistance is needed, please open a JTAC ticket (Only an option until July 1, 2023 for upgrading Junos 10-11-13).**