Wireless

View Only
last person joined: 20 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences with Mist APs, Marvis, and all things wireless and Wi-Fi.
  • 1.  Can MIST AP achieve port aggregation?

Posted 04-23-2023 11:59

Can MIST AP achieve port aggregation?
    Can someone help answer this question?
    I didn't find any relevant instructions on the official website.

Thanks!

------------------------------
    JUN HE

• 2.  RE: Can MIST AP achieve port aggregation?

Posted 04-24-2023 11:12

I haven't been able to find any documentation on this, but I did to some testing on an AP43 a while back. From what I found, by default the AP will use Eth1 port for data if Eth0 is unable to communicate (in my test, disabling Eth0 port from switch cli), however the AP can only pull POE on Eth0, so this has limited use in the real world from what I can see.  Not sure if this is officially supported, as it's not documented to function as such.

• 3.  RE: Can MIST AP achieve port aggregation?

Posted 04-28-2023 16:50

Hi  friends ,
    Thank you for your reply. I saw someone proposing the LACP feature on the Mist Idea, and I hope this feature can be adopted and released by Mist.

https://ideas.mist.com/forums/912934-product-features/suggestions/46249870-aggregate-ethernet-options-lacp-options-in-porta

JUN HE

• 4.  RE: Can MIST AP achieve port aggregation?

Posted 04-24-2023 13:55

Quick answer is no, the Ap's don't support port aggregation.

On models with a second interface, it can be used for POE passthrough or as an alternate data path.
    802.3bz or Multigig is supported on newer models so the single interface can transmit at 2.5 or 5gig.
    You can check Wireless & WiFi Access Points & Edge | Juniper Networks US to see which models support which.

While you can certainly find use case where aggregation would be beneficial, for most enterprise customers the additional expense to run a second ethernet cable and port allocation on the switch is cost prohibitive.  A single cable run with a switch supporting the new power standards and multigig is the way forward.

Fred Glauser