Security Management

• 1.  Difference between Junos Space CSD and ESD ?

Posted 05-26-2018 00:54

Hi , 

I am trying to find the exact difference between these two Applications on Junos Space. They seem to me similar applications. What's the intended use case for each. And is the licensing also simliar (i.e per port?) .  Junos Space applications have gone through some changes in Naming over the years which has been quite confusing actually. 

The explanation given on juniper.net isn't fully clear to me. 

Connecivity Services Director - CSD

Edge Services Director - ESD. 

• 2.  RE: Difference between Junos Space CSD and ESD ?

Posted 05-26-2018 04:39

Connectivity director is the replacement/upgrade of the old Network Activate.  This is all about creating MPLS service templates and then using those templates to automatically provision eline / elan services or L3 vpn services across the MPLS network.

I have not seen Edge Services Director, but from the description this is probably aimed at the enterprise or DC that uses MX devices but is not running MPLS to manage either the WAN or DC networks.

• 3.  RE: Difference between Junos Space CSD and ESD ?
    Best Answer

Posted 05-27-2018 03:22

Hi,

Connectivity Services Director (CSD) is a Junos Space application for lifecycle management of Layer-2 and Layer-3 VPN services

CSD automates the design, validation, and provisioning of MPLS and carrier Ethernet services such as automating Layer 2 and Layer 3 VPN service activation (MPLS L2 VPN(VPLS), P2P VPN & L3 VPN), enables ISP to deploy services while reducing outages from misconfigured services for all the Juniper Routing Platforms such MX, PTX & ACX etc.. CSD can also re-discover an already deployed MPLS VPN service from existing network and can be re-managed & maintained through CSD App.

CSD leverages the service provisioning capabilities of its predecessor Application called, Services Activation Director while introducing several improvements in features, functionality and user experience.  Starting June 3, 2016 Junos Space Connectivity Services Director (CSD) is the replacement product for Service Activation Director.

The latest version of CSD is 2.2R1 supported from JUNOS Platform 17.1 & 18.1 onwards. An upcoming version of CSD 3.0 is expected upcoming quatar introducing EVPN service provisioing.

ESD or Edge Services Director is a Junos Space application for management of services interfaces of MX Series routers, such as adaptive services interfaces and multiservices interfaces. This app consist of service delivery gateway solutions for MX-Series Platform for service as such CGNAT, Firewalls and Intrusion Prevention System, Traffic Direct & Load Balancing and Adaptive Services. This app hasn't much evolved & is use case specific.

• 4.  RE: Difference between Junos Space CSD and ESD ?

Posted 05-27-2018 21:05

Thank you guys. That's helpful. Seems CSD is what customer is looking for.

A typical Bill of Material would Require the following:

1. the Junos Space Platform (i.e JS-PLT-SING for a non-HA virtual appliance set up) 
    2. the CSD-BASE package. 
    3. the port license (either CSD-1G / CSD-10G / CSD-100G / CSD-40G ). - On this one,  any guidance on how to come up with the Number required in an MPLSA setup? Which ports exactly must we cater for? Are these revenue ports on the routers that stitch up an MPLS topology?

• 5.  RE: Difference between Junos Space CSD and ESD ?

Posted 05-27-2018 21:25

Hi,

Q1:the Junos Space Platform (i.e JS-PLT-SING for a non-HA virtual appliance set up)

KD: Virtaul Setup for JUNOS Space is what I recommend. Its always suggested to have HA in case of outages.

Q2:the CSD-BASE package.

Q3:the port license (either CSD-1G / CSD-10G / CSD-100G / CSD-40G ). - On this one,  any guidance on how to come up with the Number required in an MPLSA setup? Which ports exactly must we cater for? Are these revenue ports on the routers that stitch up an MPLS topology?

KD:You need to consider the interfaces that the network will have at a certain point in time. If at day one the network has 1000 interfaces, those are the ones you charge for. If later on it grows to 2000 interfaces, then you add those when required. With regards to wether the interfaces are “used” or “deployed but not used”, the criteria is “deployed”.

For example:In case the you orders an ACX 5048, however you order only 10 x 1G SFP’s to be used on the day one, what is the licensing to be considered?  If you have ordered only 10x1G SFPs, that means the system has only 10x1G SFPs usable. This is what the you must pay for 10xCSD-1G. Even if the customer plans to use only 5 of them initially.

For further info on pricing on CSD, I would suggest you reach out to your local Juniper Network Account folks, and request for them for a CSD demo, they will demo the product solution & they will further brief you on the pricing model based on your setup.

• 6.  RE: Difference between Junos Space CSD and ESD ?

Posted 05-28-2018 03:32

The only thing I would add to what Karan has is the choice between physical and virtual may also factor in disk usage.  By default you are sending syslog to the appliance in a large network this can be a lot of both data an IOPs.  Which is why we went physical.

• 7.  RE: Difference between Junos Space CSD and ESD ?

Posted 05-28-2018 03:42

@spuluka wrote:

The only thing I would add to what Karan has is the choice between physical and virtual may also factor in disk usage.  By default you are sending syslog to the appliance in a large network this can be a lot of both data an IOPs.  Which is why we went physical.

Great. Thank you Steve and Karan. 

This is helpful.