vMX

View Only
last person joined: 10 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about vMX.

[SUBSCRIBERS] Manipulating the gateway received on CPEs

• 1.  [SUBSCRIBERS] Manipulating the gateway received on CPEs

Posted 07-27-2021 13:53

Hello everyone, first post her in Elevate.

I would like to share a solution that I implement in my company and ask to all of you if anyone did the same or solve the issue in a differente way.

I work in a Service Provider and we have residential clients using IPOE.

I have 3 types of cliente

-CGNAT

-Fixed Public IP (Radius sends the IP)

-Dynamic Public IP (Juniper MX distribute the IPs with a POOL)

The problem was for subscribers with "Fixed Public IP (Radius sends the IP)", since I don't have a POOL configured on MX my CPEs was receiving the Gateway 0.0.0.0 and some brands of CPE was not working.

The first try was sending as Framed-Pool a existent pool but in different network,  the problema was not solved but we notice the some brands accept gateways on different network, others brands don't accept.

The soluttion was configure a POOL in the same networking with the "hold down" statement and setting "dhcp-attributes router  188.88.88.1" for example.

Here is the way that I configured (I'm using random IPs on the example)

set access address-assignment pool V4-POOL-FIXO-188_88_88_0-24 hold-down
    set access address-assignment pool V4-POOL-FIXO-188_88_88_0-24 family inet network 188.88.88.0/24
    set access address-assignment pool V4-POOL-FIXO-188_88_88_0-24 family inet dhcp-attributes maximum-lease-time 300
    set access address-assignment pool V4-POOL-FIXO-188_88_88_0-24 family inet dhcp-attributes name-server 8.8.8.8
    set access address-assignment pool V4-POOL-FIXO-188_88_88_0-24 family inet dhcp-attributes name-server 8.8.4.4
    set access address-assignment pool V4-POOL-FIXO-188_88_88_0-24 family inet dhcp-attributes router 188.88.88.1

After doing this all the CPE with "Fixed Public IP (Radius sends the IP)" was getting the right Gateway and the problem was solved.

Please, share with us if you know any other way to manipulate the gateway sent to IPOE subscriber.

Regards,

Lucas Rodrigues

------------------------------
    LUCAS RODRIGUES
    ------------------------------