Segment Routing Circle

• 1.  Smart Liecensing

Posted 12-12-2020 07:11
    Hi
    I am doing some research on Juniper and Cisco Boxes. One thing which always considerable is the matter of Licensing.
    Cisco Offers Smart Licensing Feature which is applied to Card/Box Capacity and Feature and we need to have an account on Internet access on the box.
    I wonder does Juniper require this feature.
    As far as I understand for Support there is Subscription based license which is tiered based on Years of service.
    I want to ask Is this applicable for Feature of a card or Not? Specifically on cards of Juniper MX960 ?
    Thank you for help and support
    Alireza

------------------------------
    Alireza Soltanian

• 2.  RE: Smart Liecensing
    Best Answer

Posted 12-12-2020 10:16
    On the MX series for any feature licenses you have they get installed via cli onto the device.

• You will register the device and the purchase code on the Juniper licensing web site.
    • This gives you an activation code for the feature.
    • You then apply this via the cli on the device itself
    • No communication from the device to the internet or Juniper is needed

Steve Puluka BSEET - Juniper Ambassador
    IP Architect - DQE Communications Pittsburgh, PA (Metro Ethernet & ISP)
    http://puluka.com/home

• 3.  RE: Smart Liecensing

Posted 12-12-2020 23:06
    Hi
    Thank you for the Answer. So It is a "one time" procedure. This will be done during device commissioning...

Alireza Soltanian

• 4.  RE: Smart Liecensing

Posted 12-13-2020 08:51
    Yes it is a one time procedure to install. 

But it can also be done on devices already in production in standard roles where you are adding new licensed features.

Most MX licenses are perpetual so don't require any other input.  But if the license is time limited you will need to revisit the box and update the time frame.  This can be done either by reaching out over the internet if the device does have access and the system is setup to do so.  These are mostly SRX style subscriptions.  But there is also an option to offline manually install the update for those without internet access on the device.  And again it is a one time validation of the installed feature license.

Steve Puluka BSEET - Juniper Ambassador
    IP Architect - DQE Communications Pittsburgh, PA (Metro Ethernet & ISP)
    http://puluka.com/home

• 5.  RE: Smart Liecensing

Posted 12-13-2020 23:05
    Dear Spuluka
    That clarifies the case. So In Summary, Juniper Licensing does not work same as Cisco Smart Licensing and This is good.
    Right?
    Thank you

Alireza Soltanian