Community Talk

View Only
last person joined: 3 days ago 

Learn how to best utilize the Elevate community and hear first about community updates.
  • 1.  Junos software downloads not free?

Posted 09-28-2013 05:34

I've just gone to download a few released of Junos to try and fix a bug in my current release and hit a page saying that I didn't have sufficient access.

I called customer services to be told that only customers with active J-Care contracts are entitled to access Junos downloads.

I happen to have J-Care on this item, so she granted me access, however, this IS NOT what I was lead to believe when I bought a Juniper product. You used to be able to download software for free at any time.

What is with the change of rules?

• 2.  RE: Junos software downloads not free?

Posted 09-28-2013 05:59

You've always needed a contract to download updates, they were never free.

• 3.  RE: Junos software downloads not free?

Posted 09-28-2013 06:02

The numerous EX3200's I have here without J-Care and with recent software versions would beg to differ.

Makes me question the validity of a lifetime warranty, if it doesn't even cover bugs in the software.

• 4.  RE: Junos software downloads not free?

Posted 09-28-2013 11:29

Hi,

Have you read the EULA? or End User License Agreement?

Please see it here:

http://www.juniper.net/support/eula.html

• 5.  RE: Junos software downloads not free?

Posted 09-28-2013 13:03

No.

I've **never** had to pay for J-Care to get software updates in the past on any of my EX3200's, which were well outside of the first 90 days.

I'm GENUINELY astounded that Juniper do not provide free software upgrades considering the fact Junos is so fault ridden.

Really, what is the point in a lifetime guarantee when the software that underpins it is full of bugs.

• 6.  RE: Junos software downloads not free?

Posted 09-28-2013 13:14

Hello Choco-loo-

I recommend that you contact the Juniper partner or sales rep that you purchased your products from to discuss getting the software updates that you require. If you need assistance locating them, please let me know and I'll see if I can help

Thank you!

Julie

• 7.  RE: Junos software downloads not free?

Posted 09-28-2013 13:17

Hi Julie,

I thankfully have J-Care on one of the units, so I was able to get software via that.

But my question is.

"Are software downloads not available on Junos, for free, after the initial 90 days, without having to purchase J-Care".

And if so, WHEN did the policy change? This was not the case in the past.

• 8.  RE: Junos software downloads not free?

Posted 09-28-2013 14:39

Hi Choco-loo-

I will see what I can find out and get back to you.

Thank you!

Julie

• 9.  RE: Junos software downloads not free?

Posted 10-01-2013 00:46
    Right, so I've spoke to two members of Juniper support who both said software downloads were only available with JTAC, yet I've found the documentation for the EX4200 which confirms exactly the opposite.

"The EX4200 includes a limited lifetime hardware warranty that provides return-to-factory switch replacement for as long as the original purchaser owns the product. The warranty includes lifetime software updates, advanced shipping of spares within one business day, and 24x7 JTAC support for 90 days after the purchase date. Power supplies and fan trays are covered for a period of five years. For complete details please visit www.juniper. net/support/warranty"

Note the part of Lifetime Software Upgrades.

So why is Juniper telling people they are no longer entitled to free software downloads.