Junos OS

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  Trying to Upgrade from 18.3R3-S6.1 to 20.4R3-S1.3

Posted 02-04-2022 10:19
    When I try to add the software from the /var/tmp directory using the following command :

request system software add /var/tmp/jinstall-ex-4300-20.4R3-S1.3-signed.tgz

I get the following results:

Checking pending install on fpc1

Checking pending install on fpc0
    Pushing bundle /var/tmp/jinstall-ex-4300-20.4R3-S1.3-signed.tgz to fpc1

Validating on fpc1
    The /var/tmp filesystem on JUNOS is low on free disk space.
    This package requires 2MB more space free.
    ERROR: Please use the request system storage cleanup command to delete old files from /var/tmp

I have tried to run the "request system storage cleanup" and still have the same issue.  I have attached the results of the cleanup command and the amount of space available. 

1.  How much space is needed to install version 20.4.R3-S1.3?
    2.  What files are needed in the /var/tmp directory and what files/directories can I remove?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Trying to Upgrade from 18.3R3-S6.1 to 20.4R3-S1.3

Posted 02-06-2022 19:50
    Hi,
    In your upgrade syntax you can add no-copy and no-validate to avoid  copying the upgrade file to your EX disk.
     command: request system software add /var/tmp/jinstall-ex-4300-20.4R3-S1.3-signed.tgz no-copy no-validate

Couple of options to check;

user@EX>show system storage

user@EX> file list /var/tmp recursive

user@EX>file list /var/log/   (from here, you can delete messages that are unimportant (e.g: "messages.0.gz" or "jsrpd.x.gz" or outdated files)

Tia,
    A

------------------------------
    Leangf Leangf

• 3.  RE: Trying to Upgrade from 18.3R3-S6.1 to 20.4R3-S1.3

Posted 02-07-2022 05:26
    Hello,
    when I had same problem, the only way was to delete some files from /var/tmp/.schema-cache/.  Then I could upgrade EX with "validation" and everything were done without any problems - verified on 4 devices.

Jiri

JIRI KUBIN

• 4.  RE: Trying to Upgrade from 18.3R3-S6.1 to 20.4R3-S1.3

Posted 03-14-2022 10:00
    Hi Jiri,

Could you directly upgrade from 18.3R3 to 20.4R3, or did you make some intermediate upgrade?

Kind Regards,

Juan

• 5.  RE: Trying to Upgrade from 18.3R3-S6.1 to 20.4R3-S1.3

Posted 03-16-2022 05:33
    Hi Juan,
    Yes I did it directly without intermidiate versions.

Regards
    Jiri

JIRI KUBIN

• 6.  RE: Trying to Upgrade from 18.3R3-S6.1 to 20.4R3-S1.3

Posted 03-14-2022 10:00
    Hi Jiri,

Could you upgrade directly from 18.3 to 20.4, or did you made some intermediate upgrades?

Kind Regards

Juan

• 7.  RE: Trying to Upgrade from 18.3R3-S6.1 to 20.4R3-S1.3

Posted 03-17-2022 10:00
    While I know this link below is for EX3400/EX2300 and not the EX4300, but maybe the scripts available on this page will also be helpful for the EX4300 if you run into persistent storage issues.

[EX] Not enough storage while upgrading Junos EX2300 and EX3400 - Juniper Networks

Of course I would add a big fat disclaimer here that these are not directly for EX4300 so definitely do test this in a lab first before doing it in production, however these scripts mainly help with freeing up disk space, it doesnt necessarily do anything hardware specific, so it *should* work since these are all utilizing the same EX Junos build.

Another good and helpful command to run sure "request system storage cleanup" (use the "dry-run" flag first to know what files it will delete). Do this before uploading your Junos image, as that will also be "cleaned up" and of course be sure to back up any files it might mark for deletion that you do still want to retain.

• 8.  RE: Trying to Upgrade from 18.3R3-S6.1 to 20.4R3-S1.3

Posted 05-16-2022 19:50

Hi,

Use this guide with an FAT32 USB-drive with the .tgz directly on it, works everytime for me.

#Enter the shell
    start shell
    #run ls before inserting USB, this way you will know which partition is the USB.
    ls /dev/da*
    #Navigate to var/tmp and create a directory for the USB.
    cd /var/tmp
    mkdir usb
    #Check partition (it will be the new one)
    ls /dev/da*
    #Mount the usb folder to the USB (da1s1 in this instance)
    mount -t msdosfs /dev/da1s1 /var/tmp/usb
    #Double check path
    mount | grep usb
    #Run the following
    request system software add /var/tmp/<os-package.tgz> no-copy no-validate force
    #Unmount
    start shell
    su
    umount /dev/da1s1

Andreas