Data Center

View Only
last person joined: 10 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Data Center Architecture and approaches.
  • 1.  L3 Gateway redundancy outside the fabric

Posted 04-20-2021 03:50
    Good Day, what  options are available for L3 redundancy external to the fabric. For example i have a two leaf and spine deployment. Using bridge overlay only what options do i have i if i for example have two MX PE routers. Apart from VRRP what other options are available and is VRRP a good solution to use over a fabric. Other options i know is to extend the VTEP to the MX and use irb with anycast inside a VRF, problem with this how would QoS be applied before it goes into the MPLS plane. Another option is service chaining, having the L3 on borderleafs and then exchange routing information in a Option A type scenario using BGP, this way i can get rid of VRRP and have L3 redundancy on the fabric and still keep the clear QoS boundry between the DC and Core. I just want to know what is the best practice design in this type of setup, L3 on the PE's with a clear QoS boundry between DC and Core whilst still having L3 redundancy and moving away from VRRP.

• 2.  RE: L3 Gateway redundancy outside the fabric

Posted 05-24-2021 09:50
    Gateway redundancy is pretty limited with bridged overlay. I think VRRP is probably your only option. L3 on the border leaf is probably a better option and creates a distinct demarcation between the DC and Core. Why not use an ERB model with type 5?

------------------------------
    DANIEL HEARTY
    Principal Engineer
    ------------------------------