vMX

View Only
last person joined: 10 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about vMX.
  • 1.  Deploy 2 vmx in the same physical server

Posted 09-11-2020 06:14

Hi There,

After checking a tons of documentation i am not able to clarify one point.

Is it possible to install 2 instance of vmx on the same server? (KVM hypervisor)

I´ve  usually seen always one vmx per server and basically configure the interface connecting a generic switch and the server in access-mode (I am referring to the physical interface of the server for production traffic of the vmx) but in case of 2 vmx deployed on the same sever than this interface has to be in trunk but i am wondering if will never work.

Sorry but it is just a generic question and i am not really managing the installation of any vmx.

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Deploy 2 vmx in the same physical server
    Best Answer

Posted 09-13-2020 00:45

Hello,

@FabNewCert wrote:

it is just a generic question and i am not really managing the installation of any vmx.

The generic answer is yes, this works. People do it all the time building home labs using virtio, not SR-IOV.

The longer answer is - You may need to do manual editing of all virtualization control text files because AFAIK, the VMX.SH installation script caters for single VMX instance only. Also, You have do place VMX image into a separate directory for each VMX instance even if the image is the same. Finally, SR-IOV and multiple VMX instances combo could be a challenge so best to use virtio.

HTH

Thx

Alex