Routing

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  OSPF

Posted 03-24-2022 09:38
    Hello,
    I am totally new to Juniper and this community,
    i was trying to configure OSPF on JunoS but i can only able to define area number and there is no option to define AS number.

On Cisco Platform, we mention like
    router ospf 1 then area

but in JunoS

set routing-options protocol ospf area 0.0.0.0

i need to know how to define OSPF Autonomous-system number.

also i think this cmd only apply for BGP AS and not for OSPF....set routing-options autonomous-system 2345.
    Any help reg about this questions  would be appreciated.

------------------------------
    Feroz Syed

• 2.  RE: OSPF
    Best Answer

Posted 03-24-2022 11:19
    Hello!

The command router ospf 1 in Cisco refers to a local OSPF Process ID. This means the number is locally significant only to the Router where it is configured and does not need to match with the neighbor device to become OSPF Neighbors.
    Do you have a strong use case to configure more than one OSPF process in the same routing-instance? If so, you could try with nonforwarding-instances to get a similar result Configuring Nonforwarding Instances
    Juniper remove preview
    Configuring Nonforwarding Instances
    In nonforwarding instances implemented in Junos OS Release 5.3 and earlier, you could configure interinstance export through use of import routing table groups. A secondary routing instance would import routes from the primary routing instance. Then, IGPs would advertise the routes received from the second instance table as shown in the example in Figure 1.
    View this on Juniper >

Hector Gustavo Serrano Gutierrez

• 3.  RE: OSPF

Posted 03-25-2022 09:32
    Hi Feroz.

what you call AS in cisco under in that line (router ospf 1 ) is nothing but just a reference number so you can call your "router" under the interface, i'm guessing you are familiar on how that works with cisco. But if you read the RFC for OSPF you will notice that there is no AS in the OSPF header, that means that as long as your areas match, you shouldn't have any problem.

example:

junos side
    set routing-options protocol ospf area 0.0.0.0 interface ge-0/0/0.0

CIsco:
    interface gi0/1
    ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x
    ip ospf router 1

ip router ospf 1 
    area 0.0.0.0 << this part most likely you never configure it because by default cisco uses area 0, but if you were going to use something as area 100 you need to manually configure it

sorry if there are typos or mistakes with the syntax on IOS, i dont configure a lot in IOS so i tend to forget hierarchies. 

Thanks, 

GABRIEL FLORES

• 4.  RE: OSPF

Posted 03-25-2022 09:32
    AS number is for BGP, and not OSPF.  In Junos, almost all things related to protocols are configured under the [edit protocols] hierarchy.  For OSPF you would configure:

set protocols ospf area <insert area #> interface <insert interface>

Be sure to use the ? to assist with various other options that can be configured such as area type, interface p2p or passive, authentication, metric, etc...​