SRX

View Only
last person joined: 13 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
  • 1.  SRX compared to EX

Posted 01-30-2022 07:26
    I know that some might think this thread belongs in the EX switch board but my main example is
    about the SRX functionality in that it is capable of certain behavior. Here is my question.

1. Does the EX switch show the same behavior in that it creates inherently static routes in
    the system as a whole. Many may not realize this functionality, so here is a description.

When using an SRX on an isp the SRX can create permanent routes with most if not all commands
    used in the system, which actually makes permanent changes to electrical services. This is special
    about the SRX. Other equipment will only reroute core routes, dns, interface and others. Example 
    being ASUS wireless routers.

Will the EX switch act like the SRX in this regard? Its a static nature.

------------------------------
    Adrian Aguinaga
    B.S.C.M. I.T.T. Tech
    (Construction Management)
    A.A.S. I.T.T. Tech
    (Drafting & Design)

• 2.  RE: SRX compared to EX

Posted 01-30-2022 15:55
    I am not sure I understand what type of route you are referring to.  But if you mean can you create a static route on the ex series switch the answer is yes.  Using the same location and process as on the srx.

set routing-options static route 172.16.0.0/12 next-hop 192.168.1.1

Steve Puluka BSEET - Juniper Ambassador
    IP Architect - DQE Communications Pittsburgh, PA (Metro Ethernet & ISP)
    http://puluka.com/home

• 3.  RE: SRX compared to EX

Posted 01-31-2022 05:36
    I have noticed that on other equipment such as ASUS that in order for traffic to be properly routed, it is necessary to use other equipment first. Before I could use the ASUS wireless routers I needed the SRX. This is because it made permanent changes that the ASUS could not. I can confirm this surely. I can confirm that my opinion is that it can do this even better than other brands like Cisco, I think. Using the SRX in conjunction with other equipment improved overall routing with ASUS no doubt. 

If I use a cable modem with an SRX behind it, it will create permanent paths of entry to my location thus improving performance.

If I use a Cisco wireless router the paths will return to their original state when removed.

Will the EX switches act as the SRX in the same environment? Will the EX switches reduce unneeded learning after going offline?

Adrian Aguinaga
    B.S.C.M. I.T.T. Tech
    A.A.S. I.T.T. Tech
    (Drafting & Design)

• 4.  RE: SRX compared to EX

Posted 01-31-2022 10:26
    Thank you for any replies. I guess that i have not looked into the EX switch's memory specs. Ill do so. It is the static
    nature of these juniper devices like the SRX in which im interested. Redundancy and failover.

Adrian Aguinaga
    B.S.C.M. I.T.T. Tech
    A.A.S. I.T.T. Tech
    (Drafting & Design)