Switching

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
Expand all | Collapse all

EX4300-48p VC upgrade

• 1.  EX4300-48p VC upgrade

Posted 06-22-2020 23:22

Hi All,

We are currently running with OS 14.1X53-D46.7 on EX4300-48p VC (total -6 switches). I would like to upgrade with new junos suggested released version - Junos 18.4R2-S3. 

Can I directly go from 14.1X53-D46.7 to 18.4R2-S3? 

Can I reboot single member in the VC? If yes, do I need to issue reboot cmd from the master or member?

Thank you.

• 2.  RE: EX4300-48p VC upgrade

Posted 06-22-2020 23:32

Hi

You cannot go directly from 14.x to 18.x.

The path would be 14.x to 17.x and then to 18.x.

More information on the below KB

https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB34165&actp=RSS

Regarding the reboot of single member yes you can reboot the single member with the following command from the master.

request system reboot member <>

Hope this helps.

• 3.  RE: EX4300-48p VC upgrade

Posted 06-22-2020 23:44

Thanks, raviky.

As long as the upgrade release is not more than three releases ahead then it should be fine, is this right?

Example: I could go to 14.x to 16.x and then to 18.x.

• 4.  RE: EX4300-48p VC upgrade

Posted 06-23-2020 00:24

Yes that is correct !

You can go from 14.x to 16.x and then to 18.x which serves the rule.

• 5.  RE: EX4300-48p VC upgrade

Posted 06-23-2020 03:42

Thanks, raviky.

Are the all VC members has to be with the same version?

• 6.  RE: EX4300-48p VC upgrade

Posted 06-23-2020 03:56

Yes all members should be on the same version.

Below kb is for the VC upgrade for EX

https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB10840&cat=SWITCH_PRODUCTS&actp=LIST

Hope this helps

• 7.  RE: EX4300-48p VC upgrade

Posted 06-23-2020 04:30

Thanks, raviky.

Just to confirm, as per KB I don't need to upload the image into all members, just in the master and it will upload the software file to all Virtual Chassis (VC) members and reboot them when the upload is complete.

• 8.  RE: EX4300-48p VC upgrade

Posted 06-23-2020 04:34

Yes just upload the image to master and it will add it to other members.

• 9.  RE: EX4300-48p VC upgrade

Posted 06-23-2020 07:36

Just to be 100% clear on a few responses:

If you 'add' new SW/code to a single member and reboot/reset that member, that member will not re-join the VC and will instead become isolated.  All members of a VC must be running the same SW in order for VC to form.

There are multiple options associated with request system software add package-name command.  See here for details - https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/reference/command-summary/request-system-software-add.html

If you want to reboot/reset the VC automatically you must add the 'reboot' option to the command.  This is generally not recommended.  Performing the "add software" has no affect on the VC.  VC continues to run just as before while this action takes place and completes.  You can then apply reboot/reset action when ever you want to.   In this way you can confirm 'add' completes fully prior to the required reboot/reset.

This is the manner in which most people perform any Junos SW change.

• 10.  RE: EX4300-48p VC upgrade

Posted 06-23-2020 15:06

Thanks, rccpgm.

So I need to do the following:

- Add the new code into master

- Issue the request software add "file" validate cmd from the master

- Master will then add new code into all the members, including itself

- Once all members and master have the new code which I can confirm through file show "location" cmd

- Issue the request system reboot cmd from the master

• 11.  RE: EX4300-48p VC upgrade

Posted 06-23-2020 16:35

Yes, and it is request system software add.  To move code to Master switch use FTP or SCP, and make sure that protocol is enabled.  TFTP is not supported.  EX Switches support FTP client, so you need a FTP Server in order to get software transferred to the switch (/var/tmp is generally used location).

• 12.  RE: EX4300-48p VC upgrade

Posted 06-23-2020 17:30

Thanks, rccpgm.

With regards to file storage in EX4300-48P, which location do I need to look for available storage? Example: In EX2300 and EX3400 below the file system consider to get sufficient space for new code (https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB31198&actp=METADATA😞

root@juniper> show system storage
    fpc0:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Filesystem      Size  Used  Avail  Capacity  Mounted on
    /dev/gpt/junos  1.3G  1.1G  139M   89%       /.mount <-- Not enough space
    tmpfs           651M  48K   651M   0%        /.mount/tmp
    tmpfs           324M  436K  324M   0%        /.mount/mfs

In SRX, generally, pay particular attention to the Avail space for /cf/var partition.

What about EX4300 partition that I need to look for to avail the space? I can't see the filesystem /dev/gpt/junos on EX4300-48p switch.

• 13.  RE: EX4300-48p VC upgrade

Posted 06-24-2020 08:03

First, EX4300 does not have any of the storage concerns of EX2300/EX3400.  Generally /var/tmp is generally the location used to store the SW image.

• 14.  RE: EX4300-48p VC upgrade
    Best Answer

Posted 06-24-2020 10:27

Hi CP1,

Some of the things you would want to verify are:

1. Ensure the correct step for software upgrade process, from the current version to the intended version. Apart from checking Junos docs, it might be worth opening a case with JTAC to verify the recommended step upgrade approach, if you have a valid support contract.
    2. The 1st image to be installed can be preloaded to the /var/tmp directory of the VC stack prior to the maintenance window. Use either the SFTP to remotely upload the image or upload the image via USB whichever is easier. I personally prefer the remote upload approach.
    3. The command to install the software "request system software add /var/tmp/jiinstall---.tgz" can be executed prior to the maintenance without any downtime. Apart from installing the image to all the VC members, the exisitng configuration will be checked for compatibilty with the new software being installed. "Make sure to not to reboot at this stage".
    4. Finally during the maintenance window execute the " request system reboot all-members" command to complete the software installation process.
    5. Once upgrade is completed successfully, ensure to perform a snapshot operation so that both the Primary and Backup partition is running the same software version. This step only needs to be performed after the final software in the upgrade process is upgraded. 

HTH

B

• 15.  RE: EX4300-48p VC upgrade

Posted 06-25-2020 15:28

Hi All,

Thanks for your support. 

I have followed below path after contacting to the JTAC to catch latest Junos suggested release for EX4300:

• 14.1X53-D46(unsupported version) -> 14.1X53-D51 -> 17.1R3 -> 17.3R3 -> 18.1R3-S9

However, I have received success for below:

• 14.1X53-D46 -> 14.1X53-D51(no error) -> 17.1R3(no error) -> 17.3R3(no error) -> 18.1R3-S9(error)

I couldn't able to go onto 18.1R3-S9 due to below error (first received on FPC1 then FPC2):

• "truncated or corrupted package: /var/tmp/pakage_name" 

The file image was in /var/tmp/ on the master. The above error first appeared in FPC1. I then push the bundle into FPC1 through USB, used again request software add /var/tmp/"image" no-copy validate cmd on master and it did pass through FPC1 (pushed the bundle and validated) but this time for FPC2. I then decided to leave at 17.3R3 as the maintenance window already finished. 

I guess the problem with the storage but not 100% sure. Any indication would be helpful. 

Thanks, everyone for the support. 

• 16.  RE: EX4300-48p VC upgrade

Posted 06-25-2020 22:15

Hi

It definitely seems like a storage problem. Did we try to run the cleanup again on both the fpc ?

• 17.  RE: EX4300-48p VC upgrade

Posted 06-27-2020 17:46

Hi raviky,

No, I haven't try to run clean up as the maintenance window has completed. There was total 3 upgrade required as per JTAC suggestion to catch latest Junos suggested release so I guess there are storage issues and six members VC itself took some time to load up in each upgrade. 

Thanks for your inputs and time. 

• 18.  RE: EX4300-48p VC upgrade

Posted 06-22-2020 23:37

Hi CP1, 

Ideally yes this should work, but we would recommend you to go to an intermediate release(16.1 for ex) and then upgrade to 18.4R2-S3. Further, there might be some configuration changes required so verifying this in lab environment before doing a VC upgrade is suggested.

To reboot a specific member you need to issue the command from master.

request system reboot member <member-id>

Hope this helps. Smiley Happy

Please mark "Accept as solution" if this answers your query. 

Kudos are appreciated too! 

Regards, 

Sharat Ainapur

• 19.  RE: EX4300-48p VC upgrade

Posted 06-23-2020 03:51

Thanks, sharatainapur.

Are there any helpful KB for upgrading the EX4300 VC switches?

• 20.  RE: EX4300-48p VC upgrade

Posted 06-23-2020 03:55

Hello CP1,

Below is the KB link for upgrading a EX Virtual chassis.

https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB10840&cat=SWITCH_PRODUCTS&actp=LIST

I hope this helps. Please mark this post "Accept as solution" if this answers your query.

Kudos are always appreciated! Smiley Happy

Best Regards,

Lingabasappa H

• 21.  RE: EX4300-48p VC upgrade

Posted 06-23-2020 01:05

To reboot a particular VC member .

> request system reboot member <>

To upgrade the software and reboot a particular VC member.

> request system software add /var/tmp/pkg-name member 5 reboot

• 22.  RE: EX4300-48p VC upgrade

Posted 06-23-2020 03:45

Thanks, ArslanNawaz2020.

If I upgrade a specific member than wouldn't be a software mismatch problem with other members? All members have to be running with the same OS version, am I right?

• 23.  RE: EX4300-48p VC upgrade

Posted 06-24-2020 12:15

Hello, Regarding the update for the EX4300 upgrade

In order to upgrade that VC of EX4300 you need to go to a intermediate version like 16 and then you can jump to version 18 . 

Request system software add /var/tmp/(Image name ) will be command needed for this proccess. 

When you run the command Request system reboot on the master VC all members will be rebooted at once, however, You can make the reboot for one member at the time as long as you specified the member ID at the end of the reboot command. 

Also remember to add the Set system services ssh root login-allow as there is a implicit deny for the SSH on root on version 18, this has to be done before the upgrade cause you could lose ssh access if this command is not applied. 

Hope this helps. Smiley Happy

Please mark "Accept as solution" if this answers your query. 

Kudos are appreciated too! 

Regards, 

Aaron Vindas