Certifications

• 1.  JNCIS-ENT Study guide/ technical documentation updates

Posted 01-08-2018 16:47

I am very new to Juniper and have been searching for study guides for a while now with little to no success; unlike Cisco ( tons of material available) and configuations examples and technical guides.. this is just not available for this company and their products to a level that meets my requirements. My company decided to go that juniper route and due to the issues that we have been having, we have x2 dedicated Juniper Engineers on local-site to assist with issues and cutover challenges..

Is there any plan in the near future for Juniper to produce proper study guides and technical documentation? I have noticed that due to difficulty or trying to navigate around the EX and MX series, most of my team will not even try to mess with the product out of fustration..

Items needed: Study Guides ( detailed study guides) and better configuration examples, technical documentation is always a plus but it is really tough to learn anything with the lack of material that is currently being offered...

Cedric 

• 2.  RE: JNCIS-ENT Study guide/ technical documentation updates
    Best Answer

Posted 01-10-2018 00:00

Everything available!

Detailed study guides, detailed lab guides, Instructor-led, classroom based courses/classes. 

You can buy official course material from here:

https://junipertraining.onfulfillment.com/SubCategory.aspx?d=62&sd=94&sm=94

There is complete library of Day One guides:

Get the books of your interest from here for free:

https://www.juniper.net/uk/en/training/jnbooks/day-one/

• 3.  RE: JNCIS-ENT Study guide/ technical documentation updates

Posted 01-10-2018 08:49

Thank you for the reply..

• 4.  RE: JNCIS-ENT Study guide/ technical documentation updates

Posted 01-15-2018 03:34

Hi Malik,

It's asking me for a username / Password for that first link. How do I set this up? Many thanks

• 5.  RE: JNCIS-ENT Study guide/ technical documentation updates

Posted 02-11-2018 20:13

Hi Malik,

Thanks for the tips but there seems to be a few things missing.. ie. comparing apples and oranges here ( lab books - when I was preparing for my CCNA,NP,IE I can find vendors selling lab books everywhere.. doesn't seem to be the case with Juniper).. I think that the company is young but will have a bright future as more and more companies invest.. The cookbooks need a little bit of work and seem to be a little behind when it comes to study guides and technical examples.. I have been using my CCIE lab books to create Juniper labs so that I can get more hands on experience and that is very time consuming..

Does Juniper intend to develop updated Study Guides for exam prep ? 

• 6.  RE: JNCIS-ENT Study guide/ technical documentation updates

Posted 02-12-2018 02:47

Juniper exam prep is currently base on the main instructor led classes listed for the each exam.  Those unable to take these classe have to pull together materal as outlined here or as you note building your own.

Hopefully, different avenues for study guides will appear in the future.

If you work for a partner organization, are a student or active military you can apply for the free Junos open learning as another avenue.

https://www.juniper.net/us/en/training/open-learning/

• 7.  RE: JNCIS-ENT Study guide/ technical documentation updates

Posted 09-22-2018 05:45

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the extensive delay.. it has just been a total nightmare switching from Cisco to Juniper; Kudos to the Juniper TAC team but as an Engineer, I shouldn't have to call them constantly when I have issues with their product and should be able to research and toubleshoot on my own.  This is my input to this issue regarding studyguide material or lack of:

- the company should hire an outside vendor or 3rd party to develope material

- tech docs should be updated 

- better configuration examples should be published 

- individuals shouldn't have to be forced to attend a training camp to learn this product but should be able to walk down the local bookstore and purchase i.e.. junos jncia study guide, or ent.. much how we can buy every other vendor product today from Microsoft, Python, Cisco, CISSP, etc...

I have learned a lot banging my head against the wall during late night study sessions but wow, this shouldn't be this daunting to study for an exam when the vendor is not looking to cater towards the customer <--(opinion only) or the exam prep..

Much, Much, Much more work is needed....

(that my input like a grain of sand)...

• 8.  RE: JNCIS-ENT Study guide/ technical documentation updates

Posted 09-22-2018 17:00

I feel your pain.  The change is tough because the paradigms are so different but it has been worth the effort for me.

You also have to remember that Juniper is many orders of magnatude smaller than Cisco.  Cisco had 48 billion in sales last year while Juniper sits at 5 billion.  So they don't have the resources to fund a full press and all the features for bringing along new users.

If it is any consolation, there has been a lot of progress over the years.  And Juniper does listen and take feedback for incremental improvements.

For documention, you can see specific new initiatives in the IX - Information Experience blog here.  Comments here feed directly to the teams working on those projects.

You can also volunteer to be in the preview group for surveys and reviews of designs and documentation in progress.  They also run a private forum for pre-release feedback and directions. This is the ICAB program - International Content Advisory Board. 

Email icab@juniper.net to request to join.

The training group takes feedback in this forum.  They have also added a lot over the years with the short books in the Day One series and the short training video formats collected now in Junos Genius.

But as you note full size study guides are still a missing item on my wish list too.