Routing

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  What is in "show route summary" appeared?

Posted 08-01-2022 06:32
    Hi. Kindly, I have a question. There is something appeared in the command on "show route summary" as follow.

xxx@xxx> show route summary | no-more 

RIB Unique destination routes high watermark: 890140 at 2022-07-21 19:44:09
    RIB routes high watermark: 933439 at 2022-07-21 19:44:09
    FIB routes high watermark: 890071 at 2022-07-21 19:44:09
    VRF type routing instances high watermark: 0 at 2022-05-19 23:48:36

inet.0: xxx destinations, xxx routes (xxx active, 0 holddown, xxx hidden)
    .....​

What makes of those lines are appeared?

• 2.  RE: What is in "show route summary" appeared?

Posted 08-01-2022 06:45
    This displays the maximum routes that hit the high water mark for the device.

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/us/en/software/junos/static-routing/topics/ref/command/show-route-summary.html

The percentage level appears to be set at 100% by default 
    https://www.juniper.net/documentation/us/en/software/junos/flow-packet-processing/topics/ref/statement/security-edit-high-watermark.html

------------------------------
    Steve Puluka BSEET - Juniper Ambassador
    IP Architect - DQE Communications Pittsburgh, PA (Metro Ethernet & ISP - Retired)
    http://puluka.com/home

• 3.  RE: What is in "show route summary" appeared?

Posted 08-09-2022 09:17
    Hi Spuluka. Thanks for the reply. I'm using MX80. But I don't think I have made a configuration just like as you share the page. On previously it has no watermark on "show route summary"

xxx@xxx> show route summary | no-more 
    29 Apr 2022 10:13:17
    Autonomous system number: xxx
    Router ID: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

inet.0: xxx destinations, xxx routes (xxx active, xxx holddown, xxx hidden)
    ....​

It snap was on 3 months ago.  I just did the upgrade Junos from 17.3R3-S7.2 to 20.2R3-S4.7. Are those affected to the shown of watermark?

• 4.  RE: What is in "show route summary" appeared?

Posted 08-10-2022 08:49
    The way I read the documentation, the line will only appear after the high water mark threshold is actually reached for the device since the last reboot.

Steve Puluka BSEET - Juniper Ambassador
    IP Architect - DQE Communications Pittsburgh, PA (Metro Ethernet & ISP - Retired)
    http://puluka.com/home

• 5.  RE: What is in "show route summary" appeared?
    Best Answer

Posted 11-18-2022 13:09
    I'm sure you've long since worked out the correct answer, but it was 20.2 that introduced it, hence the change in your CLI output.

System Logging

• Support to track the maximum number of routing and forwarding (RIB/FIB) routes and VRFs (MX Series and PTX Series)-Starting in Junos OS Release 20.2R1, you can track and display the high-water mark data of routing and forwarding (RIB/FIB) table routes and VRFs in a system (RPD) using the show route summary CLI command. High-water mark refers to the maximum number of routing and forwarding (RIB/FIB) table routes and VRFs that was present in the RPD system. The high-water mark data can also be viewed in the syslog at the LOG_NOTICE level.

You can configure the interval of the high-water mark data using the highwatermark-log-interval CLI configuration statement at the [edit routing-options] hierarchy level. The minimum time gap at which the high-water mark data logged in the syslog is 30 seconds. You can configure the value for highwatermark-log-interval CLI configuration statement between 5 to 1200 seconds.

• 6.  RE: What is in "show route summary" appeared?

Posted 12-04-2022 22:31
    Your quote as I expected. So it is the highest record on RIB/FIB routes since the device is turned on. I was getting messed up with "watermark" words. Thank you.