Junos OS

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  Redundant PPoE-Config on AEs from a MX204

Posted 10-19-2022 06:37
    Hi together,

I am planing to set up a new environment for my subscriber management, based on PPoE.
    The main element of this environment should be two MX204 with two EX4600.
    The MX204 should work as PPoE-Server for the customers, that are coming from POPs.
    Because of the limited amount of ports, the EX4600 should be used to aggregate the connections to all POPs for the routers.

At the moment I am not sure, what would be the best way, to connect the EX4600 and the MX204 with each other, to set up a redundant PPPoE-Confg.
    This means, that one MX204 should be holding all PPoE-Sessions at the time, but when it fails, the other MX204 should take over the session as fast as possible.
    I thought about a connection with EVPN and VXLAN, maybe just for the routers or even with the switches.

I think, that I have to use an AE on every router to connect them with the switches.
    In this case, the PPPoE-Config has to be applied to an underlying interface, that is an active-active AE in the background.
    I already tried this, but I wasn't very succesful, configuring the AE as an underlying interface, while the configuration of a physical XE as underlying interface worked fine.

Maybe someone can help me with an idea for getting the PPoE-redundancy and configuring PPoE with an active-active AE as underlying interface.

Thanks in advance!

------------------------------
    NIKLAS PLUGGE
    ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Redundant PPoE-Config on AEs from a MX204

Posted 10-20-2022 08:56
    Hi Niklas,
    I wouldn't recommend to blend together EVPN/VXLAN Active-Active and PPPoE termination. Doubt that it's possible in general. You can run EVPN/VXLAN on two switches as collapsed fabric design to have redundant connections between switches and routers, but each router should act separately and has it's own AE interface. PPPoE VLANs can be fed to both routers and they will both terminate sessions, but separately from each other. There is a redundancy feature for IPoE, but not for PPPoE. If one router fails, after PPP timeout sessions will reconnect to the second router. This is traditional PPPoE design.
    Also you can terminate PPPoE from pseudo-wires, initiated from access nodes (if they are MPLS-capable). The feature is called PWHT, pseudo-wire headend temination. With PWHT routers will work as active-standby but you can make some pseudo-wires active on one router and other pseudo-wires active on another router and thus balance them. With PWHT you don't need PPPoE VLANs at all, pseudo-wires carry PPPoE over L3.