Switching

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  Linecard shown after zerioze.

Posted 01-12-2023 04:34
    Hi. I have EX2300-C at Junos 19.1R3-S5.3. I just cleanup everything by using.

> request system zerioze​

And it's rebooted. Then I relogin into my switch. But the switch seems saving my old root password, although it should be no password at all. And the output shown like this.

FreeBSD/arm (Amnesiac) (ttyu0)

login: root
    Jan 12 15:44:26   login: login_getclass: unknown class 'junos-login-defaults'
    Password:
    Last login: Thu Jan 12 15:36:24 on ttyu0

--- JUNOS 19.1R3-S5.3 Kernel 32-bit  JNPR-11.0-20210212.420a184_buil
    root@:LC:0% cli
    Jan 12 15:44:26   login: login_getclass: unknown class 'junos-login-defaults'
    Jan 12 15:44:38   cli: login_getclass: unknown class 'j-idle-timeout'
    warning: This chassis is operating in a non-master role as part of a virtual-chassis (VC) system.
    warning: Use of interactive commands should be limited to debugging and VC Port operations.
    warning: Full CLI access is provided by the Virtual Chassis Master (VC-M) chassis.
    warning: The VC-M can be identified through the show virtual-chassis status command executed at this console.
    warning: Please logout and log into the VC-M to use CLI.
    {linecard:0}
    root>​

I cannot make any operation since it is not a master routing-engine. How it could be happened? Any advice how to resolve it?

• 2.  RE: Linecard shown after zerioze.

Posted 01-13-2023 03:09
    That is interesting. I have been doing quite a few zeroizing lately,
    using verious JunOS versions and I haven't seen this behaviour. What I
    have seen several times is that somehow a vc configuration gets
    remembered and the unit still tries to do "logging to master..."
    afterwards. This is even with no vc ports enabled at all, which would be
    silly anyway.

So sorry no solution. Maybe a second round of zeroizing helps?

• 3.  RE: Linecard shown after zerioze.

Posted 01-13-2023 04:31

I did it was for lab purpose. I think I already figure it out by upgrading Junos into 21 through USB install. I cannot test for another zeroize for second time.

• 4.  RE: Linecard shown after zerioze.

Posted 01-17-2023 12:38
    If it won't zeroize fully, you have stacking config I bet.  Been there, done that.

My process is this:

*remove stack config files so zerioize works completely*

cd /config/vchassis
    rm *
    rmdir /config/vchassis

zeroize + media option

create usb using balenaEtcher using the junos-install-media-usb-ex-arm-32-22.2R1.9.img.gz file, windows will say it's unformatted after but that is ok

reboot the switch, ctrl-c during the 2 second windows, pick boot options then pick boot from usb (option 4?) - this is in cli via console but not typing commands, more picking from a menu like windows safe mode

boots from usb, loads latest Junos

set partial config, https web management, ip, dns, default route, switch name, etc.

check to see basic JWEB is working

then update JWEB via GUI browse to file

finish config

Let me know if that helps!

------------------------------
    Jason Fagan

• 5.  RE: Linecard shown after zerioze.

Posted 01-13-2023 03:12
    Adding to my previous comment, I must say I have only experience using EX3300 (JunOS 13/15) and EX3400 (JunOS 18).

Erik Slagter

• 6.  RE: Linecard shown after zerioze.

Posted 01-19-2023 10:37
    I've seen this too, even very recently, that a VC config remains after zeroizing. Very annoying and in same cases even a real issue. In my case it meant my standalone switch would refuse to start ethernet switching because it felt it wasn't the designated routing engine.

Next time I will try with first removing the vc files and then do a zeroize.

What do you mean by "zeroize + media option"?

I don't think it's necessary to install from the boot loader, I don't think that will really make a difference, but if you say so ;-)

You can always save the config to USB stick, so after the zeroizing, you still have a config. You don't even need to remove the stick, just mount it when required.

Erik Slagter

• 7.  RE: Linecard shown after zerioze.

Posted 01-20-2023 10:41
    What we discovered is that if virtual chassis config remains, the zeroize doesn't actually work fully.  So the VC removal:

cd /config/vchassis
    rm *
    rmdir /config/vchassis

then a good ole 

request system zeroize media (media = scrubs all storage media - takes 30-45 min on EX3400 fyi)

Then boot from USB as above (for my processes anyway) and then you are off to the races.  It took us forever to figure out what was going on.

We were finding VC config in brand new factory packaged and unopened EX3400-48T's in late 2021 and mid 2022.  Not sure with the shortage if some open box but got some config, but then not used stuff was getting put back out as 'new new' or what.  We buy from a real deal Juniper Partner, so nothing grey market.  But we zero all equipment before we build it out to be safe.  And zeroize wasn't zeroizing.  Existing VC config was tripping it up somehow, that was our findings.  And these steps by god fixed it.  : )

Jason Fagan