SRX

View Only
last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
  • 1.  HW upgrade of SRX5800

Posted 01-11-2024 10:02

Hi all,
    I'd like to have your opinion about the following aspect: we have an active/standby cluster of SRX5800X running 20.2R3 with an additional logical-system lincensed and the following HW:

- SRX5K-RE-1800X4
    - SRX5K-SCB3
    - SRX5K-MPC + SRX-MIC-10XG-SFPP
    - SRX5K-SPC-4-15-320

As part of an upgrade phase, we want to replace cards inside chassis swapping REs with SRX5K-RE3-128G, SPCs with SRX5K-SPC3 and adding an SRX5K-IOC4-MRAT line card in each box.
    In order to do so we are considering to break the cluster, upgrade one node,then the second one, and once done rebuild the cluster, but we have some doubts about the following aspects, hoping someone can clarify:
    - We currently have 2 reth interfaces composed of 8 interfaces each (4 on each box) provided by SRX-MIC-10XG-SFPP; once we install the new SRX5K-IOC4-MRAT line-card we want to enlarge the bundles adding ports from the new card: do you think it's feasible, I mean, can we have more than 8 ports, with ports themselves belonging to different line-card types?
    - Since nodes are in production, in case of issues with the new HW, could we rollback to the initial scenario restoring the old HW configuration? Since SCBs are the only components kept, are they somehow affected by installation of a new RE with a different release and new SPCs?
    - We currently have a license for an additional logical-system, but I read on Juniper site that "Starting in Junos OS Releases 20.3R3, 20.4R2, 21.1R2, and 21.2R1, you can use the features for logical systems and tenant systems without a license. One license for a primary logical system and the other two licenses for user-defined logical system or tenant system". Does it mean that we don't need to reinstall the license once we have the new RE with the latest SW version?

Thanks in advance,

BR,

Eridano.

------------------------------
    ERIDANO DI PIETRO
    ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: HW upgrade of SRX5800

Posted 01-12-2024 04:46

Hi, Eridano,

while I can't asnwer all your questions, I think I can provide some advice:

• I'd suggest to keep one cluster node as is (HW and SW) so that you always have a safe (well-known) fallback option until you're happy with how the (basically) new system works.
    • the way you're describing it I understand that you're planning to upgrade HW and SW (several releases I assume to get to a releases which is safe from EoX for a while) at the same time. I'd advise against that, as when after the upgrade something doesn't work as expected there is no (easy) telling whether it's a HW or SW issue. So I'd start first with bringing the existing HW to the SW level you've forseen for the new HW.
    • I don't know specifically about reth distributed about different HW, but if there is the opportunity I'd would go for for 100GE and forget about the n*10GE altogether.

Regards

Ulf