Junos OS

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  How to access SNMP data for non-routing instance interfaces?

Posted 02-27-2023 19:42

Reviewing my statistics that I'm collecting for my Juniper EXs and SRXs, I've noticed that after putting routing-instances in place, I am no longer able to access physical interface SNMP parameters - or at least I don't know how.

On the EX switches, I have (for example) physical ports bonded into aggregations with VLANs on top of the aggregations. The irb interfaces for the VLANs are then added to specific routing instances as required. I can get the SNMP data for the irb interfaces with "snmpwalk .. -c instance@community ..." but I appear to have lost access to SNMP data for the physical interfaces. The physical interfaces (including aggregations) have not been added to a routing instance because they don't have an IP address.

How do I get SNMP data for the physicals?

Do I need to add them to a new routing instance?

Is there some other default/system routing instance that they already belong to?

• 2.  RE: How to access SNMP data for non-routing instance interfaces?

Posted 02-27-2023 19:55

Ok, I've answered my own question.

When routing-instances are used, monitoring with SNMP is more complex.

To get an overview of what's required, the following command needs to be issued from the cli prompt:

show interfaces routing-instance all terse

Once a routing-instance is enabled, "default-switch" needs to be used explicitly, along with any other routing instance names that show up in the "Instance" column for network interfaces of interest. For me, the "__ juniper_private1__" and "default" don't appear to be of interest.

• 3.  RE: How to access SNMP data for non-routing instance interfaces?

Posted 02-27-2023 20:49

Hi,

on NMS u should use community like this @community-name.

Thanks