Switching

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
Expand all | Collapse all

EX3400 VC AE/LACP switched from 1GbE SMF to 10GbE MMF - still passing 1GbE of traffic

• 1.  EX3400 VC AE/LACP switched from 1GbE SMF to 10GbE MMF - still passing 1GbE of traffic

Posted 11-21-2022 13:49
    Hello everyone!  First post for me, so here we go!  ; )

We have two VC of EX3400's in two separate buildings with 4x SPF 1GbE Singlemode links between them.  We just got OM3 Multimode installed between the buildings and switched all the LACP/AE ports over to 10GB MM SPF+ modules.

They linked right up and work, and all the ports are now linked in Jweb at 10G.  But file transfer still runs exactly at 112MB/s (1GbE max) and iPerf around 950Mb/s - 1GbE territory for sure.

Below is the relevant config from one side:

set interfaces ge-0/2/2 description "Uplink to B2 Switch Closet AE1"
    set interfaces ge-0/2/2 ether-options 802.3ad ae1
    set interfaces xe-0/2/2 description "Uplink to B2 Switch Closet AE1"
    set interfaces xe-0/2/2 ether-options 802.3ad ae1
    set interfaces ge-0/2/3 description "Uplink to B2 Switch Closet AE1"
    set interfaces ge-0/2/3 ether-options 802.3ad ae1
    set interfaces xe-0/2/3 description "Uplink to B2 Switch Closet AE1"
    set interfaces xe-0/2/3 ether-options 802.3ad ae1

--------

set interfaces ae1 description "Uplink to B2 Switch Closet"
    set interfaces ae1 native-vlan-id 1
    set interfaces ae1 aggregated-ether-options lacp active
    set interfaces ae1 unit 0 family ethernet-switching interface-mode trunk
    set interfaces ae1 unit 0 family ethernet-switching vlan members default

--------

I found a Juniper tech article showing the link-speed variable on the aggregated-ether-options command.  I tried to link a screenshot also, hopefully that shows up.

Does anyone have any experience with this command?  Or have any comments on the configuration?  Will applying this on one side at a time, take the LACP/AE link down? 

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!  Thanks all.  : )

aggregated-ether-options link-speed

------------------------------
    Jason Fagan

• 2.  RE: EX3400 VC AE/LACP switched from 1GbE SMF to 10GbE MMF - still passing 1GbE of traffic

Posted 11-22-2022 17:04
    As an update - we tried pulling al the 'ge' interfaces out of the config on both sides, and also added the link-speed 10g in the aggregated-ether-options, but the link is still running at 1GbE performance.  A show lacp command showed 40Gbps on the link speed, both before and after these changes.  If anyone has any comments I'd love to hear them, and I'll post the solution when I find it.  Thanks!

Jason Fagan