Routing

last person joined: 4 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  MC-LAG with VRRP through DWDM connection?

Posted 01-13-2020 04:02

Hi all,

Just want get some advise. Let's say CE ---> Switch-EX3400 (ae) ---> (multiple dwdm) ----> (MC-LAG with VRRP) MX480-1 & MX480-2 . Is it good ok if i setup like this. The MX480-1 & MX480-2 is different geo location.  

If the connection not through DWDM so it no problem but i'm not sure if through DWDM. Is it we can use BFD under vrrp for failover detection?

Thanks and appreciate any feedback

• 2.  RE: MC-LAG with VRRP through DWDM connection?

Posted 01-13-2020 08:52

As long as you can keep the link stable with minimum delay, this should be fine. BTW, how far away are you expecting to put MX1 and MX2 ? 

• 3.  RE: MC-LAG with VRRP through DWDM connection?

Posted 01-13-2020 14:17

Hi Kronicklez,

The transport medium (dwdm) doesn't make any difference in VRRP operation as long as the VRRP advertisements make it to the VRRP backup.

BFD under VRRP is not supported.

If you want you can play with VRRP advertisement timers, default advertisement timer is 1 sec.

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/task/configuration/vrrp-master-router-advertisement-interval-configuring.html

PS: Please accept my response as solution if it answers your query, kudos are appreciated too!

Thanks

Vishal

• 4.  RE: MC-LAG with VRRP through DWDM connection?

Posted 01-13-2020 15:13

Hi Mengzhu / vlsing,

The distance between MX-1 and MX-2 around 200km and involve multiple DWDM connection.  Is it advisable if MC-LAG deploy on different geo-location. Any advise on failover time / latency need to be concern or any other factor?

Thanks and appreciate any feedback.

• 5.  RE: MC-LAG with VRRP through DWDM connection?
    Best Answer

Posted 01-13-2020 18:07

Hi ,

I have seen MC-LAG over DWDM. The setup I had seen has "init-delay-time 240" other than that I didn't notice any other timer configuration.

Refer: https://kb.juniper.net/KB32698

I haven't had much hands on experience on this,  I would suggest you to test out the desired config in your envrinmonet before rolling out in production.

Thanks
    Vishal

• 6.  RE: MC-LAG with VRRP through DWDM connection?

Posted 01-13-2020 20:37

Hi vlsing,

Thanks for the link and advise.