Routing

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  Wake on LAN accross VLANs with targeted broadcast

Posted 01-21-2017 03:02

Hi all,

I'm trying to configure an EX3400 (JUNOS 15.1X53-D50.2) to route packets for Wake on LAN (sent from SCCM) accross VLANs. I've read the documentation which says that Targeted Broadcast is the feature to configure. This forum post also suggests that it has worked for others. Unfortunately, it does not for me...

Relevant parts of the configuration I currently have and which routes unicast packets successfully:

interfaces {
        irb {
            unit 100 {
                familiy inet {
                    address 192.168.100.1/24;
                }
            }
            unit 200 {
                familiy inet {
                    targeted-broadcast {
                        forward-and-send-to-re;
                    }
                    address 192.168.200.1/24;
                }
            }
        }
    }

vlans {
        server {
            vlan-id 100;
            l3-interface irb.100;
        }
        clients {
            vlan-id 200;
            l3-interface irb.200;
        }
    }

(vlans are assigned to physical interfaces which seem to work correctly for unicast)

If now the server (assume 192.168.100.16) sends a packet to 192.168.200.255, it should be broadcasted within vlan 200 but that does not happen. Am I missing anything or do I need to set additional parameters? Let me know if you need more information to help me.

Thanks,

Jonas

• 2.  RE: Wake on LAN accross VLANs with targeted broadcast

Posted 01-21-2017 18:08

Hi Folks,

I could come across with the below piece of information; can you please try using the knob forward-only rather than  forward-and-send-to-re for isolation?

Targeted broadcast does not work when the targeted broadcast option forward-and-send-to-re and the traffic sampling option sampling are configured on the same egress interface of an M320 router, a T640 router, or an MX960 router. To overcome this scenario, you must either disable one of the these options or enable the sampling option with the targeted broadcast option forward-only on the egress interface. For information about traffic sampling, see Configuring Traffic Sampling.

https://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos/topics/concept/targeted-broadcast-overview.html

• 3.  RE: Wake on LAN accross VLANs with targeted broadcast

Posted 01-22-2017 01:27

Hi python,

I already read and tried that - without success. The description also says this only happens with "an M320 router, a T640 router, or an MX960 router" whereas I have an EX3400. Futhermore, I don't have traffic sampling enabled.

Regards,

Jonas

• 4.  RE: Wake on LAN accross VLANs with targeted broadcast

Posted 01-30-2017 08:19

Is nobody else doing something similar and able to help me here?

Thanks,
    Jonas

• 5.  RE: Wake on LAN accross VLANs with targeted broadcast
    Best Answer

Posted 05-25-2017 13:38

Hi,

after some time has passed, I managed to run a deeper investigation: The problem seems to be that the destination address of the broadcast ethernet packet is set the same as the source, equal to the egress interface. This probably leads to the situation that the sub-switches send the packet back to the EX3400.

That's a bug in the currently installed Junos which has been fixed in 15.1R3: https://prsearch.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=prcontent&id=PR1127852.

Cheers,

Jonas