Routing

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  Import /20 from one customer, export /32 to another

Posted 09-27-2018 11:09

Is it possible to import a /20 from one BGP neighbor (example: 172.16.0.0/20) and advertise just one host (/32) out of that /20 to another BGP neighbor (example: 172.16.5.55/32) ? If so, how do I do it?

I know that I could create a static route and export that but I am looking for another way. I was looking into a generate route but so far I am not able to make it work in my lab.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Keith

• 2.  RE: Import /20 from one customer, export /32 to another

Posted 09-27-2018 15:03

Hi,

The /20 will not be a contributing route for a /32 generated route. If you just want to advertise a route to another customer use static with next-hop discard and no-install. This will allow BGP to advertise it but it will not be used for packet forwarding. 

Tim

• 3.  RE: Import /20 from one customer, export /32 to another

Posted 09-27-2018 15:37

Hmm, ok thanks for the info!

• 4.  RE: Import /20 from one customer, export /32 to another
    Best Answer

Posted 09-27-2018 16:49

In order for BGP to advertise a route that specific route would need to be in the routing table.

In this case the route in the routing table is the /20 so you will NOT be able to advertise a /32 because that route is not actually in the routing table.  A route policy does not create routes to be advertised it only compares rules to routes that exist in the routing table.

You could create the /32 as a static  route so that this is in the table for export to the neighbor.

then create a condition that looks to see if the /20 route exists in the routing table.

Your policy then exports the /32 on the condition that the /20 exists in the routing table.  If the condition is not met than the route will not be sent.

Here is a policy example using the condition object.

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/example/conditional-prefix-installing-configuring.html

• 5.  RE: Import /20 from one customer, export /32 to another

Posted 10-01-2018 13:41

Thanks Steve, this is what I will implement.

• 6.  RE: Import /20 from one customer, export /32 to another

Posted 10-02-2018 00:40

Hello,

While Steve's way is the "canonical" way to do it in JUNOS, there is another, somewhat simpler one.

All You need to do is to force NH resolution for the /32 via network or broadcast address of overlapping /20:

set routing-options static route 172.16.5.55/32 next-hop 172.16.0.0 resolve

Then, when there is a /20 in the table, /32 will "float up" and You can redistribute it into a routing protocol of Your choice. If /20 is absent, then /32 will sink and disappear from the table.

Obviously , this would work only if You don't have a default (0/0) route. 

If You do have one, then You'd need to prevent NH resolution via it which is extra 5-10 lines of config.

HTH

Thx

Alex