Switching

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  expansion module for EX-4600 / EX4600-EM-8F Faceplate

Posted 07-14-2020 02:58

My customer asked me to suggest expansion module for EX-4600, Which module do we need to purchase ?

Based on link it support two expension module

> EX4600-EM-8F, which provides 8 additional 10-Gigabit Ethernet Enhanced Small Form-Factor Pluggable (SFP+) ports.

> QFX-EM-4Q, which provides 4 additional 40-Gigabit Quad SFP+ (QSFP+) ports.

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/release-independent/junos/topics/topic-map/ex4600-chassis.html#id-ex4600em8f

I refer above link for expension module and have some query found on CAUTION in document.

Caution

Copper SFP transceivers (1000BASE-T) are restricted to the top four ports or the bottom four ports; fiber SFP transceivers (1000BASE-X) can be used in any of the eight ports. Attempting to stack copper SFP transceivers causes internal damage to the module.

> Attempting to stack copper SFP transceivers causes internal damage to the module.

##  Is  it just a normal warning and if it damage module then why juniper document put this part in support EX 4600

> Copper SFP transceivers (1000BASE-T) are restricted to the top four ports or the bottom four ports

##   Is it strictly restrict to use top four port or  bottom four port. or we can use any for port like three any top four port and one any bottom port.

##  If we use four port with copper SFP transceivers (1000BASE-T) Can we use remaining four port with fiber SFP transceivers (1000BASE-X)

> There is two official Juniper document I am reffering for EX4600 Expansion Module and both are giving contradict    statement for module supported issue (As below)

Document refer Link -1

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/release-independent/junos/topics/topic-map/ex4600-maintaining-expansion-module.html

Statement : The EX4600 switch allows up to two expansion modules to be added to the port panel to increase port density. The EX4600 switch holds two bays of expansion modules that can be mixed and matched as desired.

Document refer Link -2

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/release-independent/junos/topics/topic-map/ex4600-chassis.html#id-ex4600em8f

Statement : The EX4600 switch has two bays on the port panel in which you can optionally install one or two expansion modules. The EX4600 supports the same two expansion modules as the QFX5100, which increase port density:

• 2.  RE: expansion module for EX-4600 / EX4600-EM-8F Faceplate

Posted 07-14-2020 04:59

Hello Tarun,

I don't have experience with EX4600 platform in general, but I try to answer your questions based on my experience with other platforms.

##  Is  it just a normal warning and if it damage module then why juniper document put this part in support EX 4600

A: The Juniper copper SFPs are quite huge, that means if you stack them (means put a copper SFP into the top and the bottom slot at the same time), it could take mechanical damage as both copper SFPs have direct very close contact with each other. This could lead to the situation that you are not able anymore to plug them out of the module.

##   Is it strictly restrict to use top four port or  bottom four port. or we can use any for port like three any top four port and one any bottom port.

A: Depends on the mechanical space between the copper SFPs. In general it should not be a planning issue to put the copper SFPs on the top and other fiber SFPs at the bottom part. If you want to be safe, define a row for copper and one for fiber in advance.

##  If we use four port with copper SFP transceivers (1000BASE-T) Can we use remaining four port with fiber SFP transceivers (1000BASE-X)

A: Yes

## There is two official Juniper document I am reffering for EX4600 Expansion Module and both are giving contradict    statement for module supported issue (As below)

A: Actually this information do not contradict each other. Link 1 just mentions that you can mix different modules on one chassis, Link 2 mentions that the modules are the same as for QFX5100 platform, as EX4600 and QFX5100 has the identical hardware inside. If you have some modules for QFX5100, you can use the same for EX4600 platform as well.

• 3.  RE: expansion module for EX-4600 / EX4600-EM-8F Faceplate
    Best Answer

Posted 07-14-2020 06:54

@Tarun vyas the warning associated with the EX4600-EM-8F expansion module and use of Copper SFP transceivers (1000BASE-T) is no longer valid.  Juniper has not yet updated documentation regarding this specific 1000Base-T/Copper Optic.

The prior situation was that the physical characterists of the Optic were such that physically you should not install these [now older] Optics in adjacent ports - either up/down or side my side.  Now one 'could' try to do this and maybe succeed, put the added pressure could create problems - one would need to physically "force" the optics into the ports.  The net result was that for this 1 specific 1GE optic, you were limited to 1/2 the available ports.  The other ports could be used for any other 1GE optic.  That is where this comes from:

If we use four port with copper SFP transceivers (1000BASE-T) Can we use remaining four port with fiber SFP transceivers (1000BASE-X).

BTW this statement below is inaccurate. The real restriction is top port of port column #1, then bottom of port column #2, then top column of port column #3, etc.  Could not be top and bottom of same port column, nor side by side.

Copper SFP transceivers (1000BASE-T) are restricted to the top four ports or the bottom four ports

Anyway, this is all ancient history now.  There is a new version for this optic (been shipping now for last 3-4 months) that is 'slimmer'.  This slimmer version does not have the physical restriction of the older (not so slim) Optic.

With the newer [now shipping] Optic, you can use 1000Base-T/Copper 1GE optic in all ports, no restrictions.  If someone has the older 'larger' Optic, they can RMA for the new slimmer version.

I think I reply with something similar to another thread asking about these Optics.  Hopefully soon Juniper will update all the documentation regarding this situation.

• 4.  RE: expansion module for EX-4600 / EX4600-EM-8F Faceplate

Posted 07-14-2020 13:56

What openion do you about my last asking.

> There is two official Juniper document I am reffering for EX4600 Expansion Module and both are giving contradict    statement for module supported issue (As below)

Document refer Link -1

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/release-independent/junos/topics/topic-map/ex4600-mainta...

Statement : The EX4600 switch allows up to two expansion modules to be added to the port panel to increase port density. The EX4600 switch holds two bays of expansion modules that can be mixed and matched as desired.

Document refer Link -2

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/release-independent/junos/topics/topic-map/ex4600-chassi...

Statement : The EX4600 switch has two bays on the port panel in which you can optionally install one or two expansion modules. The EX4600 supports the same two expansion modules as the QFX5100, which increase port density:

• 5.  RE: expansion module for EX-4600 / EX4600-EM-8F Faceplate

Posted 07-14-2020 21:03

@Tarun vyas wrote:

What openion do you about my last asking.

"same two" does not mean the modules must be identical, it means the EX4600 supports the same two modules that the QFX5100-24Q does:

EX4600-EM-8F

QFX-EM-4Q

• 6.  RE: expansion module for EX-4600 / EX4600-EM-8F Faceplate

Posted 07-14-2020 21:41

Hi Tarun,

As per my understanding, the two statements do not contradict. 

Both the statements conclude that  EX4600 switch holds two bays of expansion modules that can be mixed and matched as desired( as per doc 1 ). The EX4600 switch allows up to 2 expansion modules to increase port density. And the QFX5100 device supports the same two expansion modules( that are supported on EX4600 ) for port density.

Hope this helps.

Please mark "Accepted Solution" if this helps you solve your query. Kudos are always appreciated!