Switching

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  What is different between helper bootp and dhcp-relay?

Posted 05-30-2016 05:42

HI,
    I have EX2200 switch and my necessary configure dhcp relay option. In documentation I found two commands for it, helper bootp and dhcp-relay. In documentation not indicate exactly distinction between this two comands.

Do dhcp relay  is more extended version helper boopt? Do in typicaly situation (switch as dhcp relay agent without extra requrement) use helper bootp?
    Can You please explain different and existence this commands? 

• 2.  RE: What is different between helper bootp and dhcp-relay?

Posted 05-30-2016 22:25
      |   view attached

Maybe this PPT answering you question

(attached)

Attachment(s)

ppt
    BOOTP and DHCP.ppt   283 KB 1 version

• 3.  RE: What is different between helper bootp and dhcp-relay?

Posted 05-31-2016 00:50

Sorry, perhaps I not clear explained my question.

I undestand appointment protocols BOOTP and DHCP. 

In Juniper documentation have mention that protocol BOOTP (helper bootp command) can be use for purpose configure dhcp relay agent.  In fact this two commands (helper bootp and dhcp-relay) do the same.

What for use two various commands, if command helper bootp it is good doing its work?

• 4.  RE: What is different between helper bootp and dhcp-relay?

Posted 05-31-2016 03:18

Bootp is the original forwarding method and the dhcp helper options are a later addition to Junos with more configuration options for control. 

If your needs are simple and you don't use routing intances with dhcp, I would stick with the bootp version.

You cannot mix the two on the same box.  And bootp option does not work inside of a routing instance so you would need to use the dhcp helper version then.

Dhcp helper is also better if you are using a subscriber management system for dhcp as it can be modestly stateful on the MX and work hand in hand with such a management system.

• 5.  RE: What is different between helper bootp and dhcp-relay?

Posted 05-31-2016 04:43

Do I true understand that command helper bootp best use in simple instance and command dhcp-relay best use in more complicated instance?

Do You present link on documentation where it is  explained, please?

• 6.  RE: What is different between helper bootp and dhcp-relay?
    Best Answer