Junos OS

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  Backup Multiple Snapshots onto 1 USB

Posted 09-23-2019 08:26

I currently have a few SRX240H2 and would like to back them all up before some new hires begin. I was able to backup the snapshots via 'request system snapshot media usb'. I noticed there was a partition slice option. Seeing how I'm currently short on USB's, is there a way to save multiple snapshots of different routers onto the same flash drive? 
    ie. 1st snapshot onto slice 1, then second snapshot onto slice 2. so on so forth... 

If so, is there a way to boot the Juniper from a particular slice? 

#usb
    #Snapshots
    #backup

• 2.  RE: Backup Multiple Snapshots onto 1 USB
    Best Answer

Posted 09-23-2019 08:51

Hi Malcyan,

AFAIK, it is not possbile to have multiple snapshots on a single USB drive. It is suggested that you format the USB before you plug-in to create a snapshot onto the USB from the NAND flash drive of the device and use command "request system snapshot".

If not formatted, use command "request system snapshot partition" and this command will first format the USB and create the partitions needed to store the snapshot onto the USB.

Now the command you see "request system snapshot partition slice alternate" is actually used to create a snapshot and copy to the other partition of the NAND flash on the device but not onto the USB.

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/example/request-system-snapshot-scenarios.html

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Pradeep
    Please Mark My Solution Accepted if it Helped, Kudos are Appreciated too!!!

• 3.  RE: Backup Multiple Snapshots onto 1 USB

Posted 09-23-2019 08:59

It is not possible to do. The slice option cannot be used along with the other request system snapshot options, because the options are mutually exclusive. If you use the factory, media, or partition option, you cannot use the slice option; if you use the slice option, you cannot use any of the other options.

slice—(Optional) Take a snapshot of the root partition the system has currently booted from to another slice in the same media.

Reference: https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/reference/command-summary/request-system-snapshot-partition.html

• 4.  RE: Backup Multiple Snapshots onto 1 USB

Posted 09-23-2019 11:14

I'm not sure about the SRX240H2, but on some other switches, "request system snapshot" results in running the shell script in /sbin/snapshot.  If you're willing to "start shell" and go digging around in there, you might find what you're looking for.