Junos OS

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  Junos Updates

Posted 04-10-2014 10:00

Quick question for the forum - I am new to Juniper and was wondering how often you update to a new Junos release.

Is best practice to run updates when a new release comes out? Are you only updating selectively based on security or bug fixes?

I am running in an environment with roughly 50 ex4200 switches with mixed releases.

I have read through the update process but just not sure how the "real-world" update frequency works

Thanks!

#update

• 2.  RE: Junos Updates

Posted 04-13-2014 03:26

• 3.  RE: Junos Updates

Posted 04-13-2014 03:49

JTAC recommended software is the right software you need to upgrade to.

Whenever a new release is made, based on the field response, below link will be updated frequently to have stable and recommended release information:

http://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB28776&smlogin=true

Regards,

Raveen

• 4.  RE: Junos Updates
    Best Answer

Posted 04-13-2014 10:01

I tend to be more conservative in OS upgrades in general, so you can take this for what it is worth.

In general once a site is up and running I would upgrade under the following circumstances.  This will generally be once a year or less.

1-Response to a technical issue - a problem occurs at the site with a known fix in a newer version and the issue is impactful enough to schedule the upgrade.  Or if a feature in use at the site appears in the "resolved issues" section of a Junos release notes and may cause problems at a site.

2-Need for features - as new versions release I look at the new feature section.  If there are features that would improve the site I would investigate the upgrade.  I will generally wait for the version to hit the JTAC recommended list as well, unless the feature upgrade is very compelling.

3- End of support - the running version for the site goes end of support.  To prevent issues with portential trouble tickets I would schedule the upgrade to the current JTAC recommended release

New release Review

When new versions of Junos are released I review the release notes. 

A-Are there issues in the resolved issues section that involve configuration parameters we use that should be addressed.

B-are there known issues in the section that would cause a problem if we used this release.

C-are there new features that would be of value

• 5.  RE: Junos Updates

Posted 04-14-2014 06:06

Thank you all for your responses! I am aware that I am behind the JTAC recommended release but now I have a better feel for how urgent these updates are.

I am in an education environment and would love to contain my upgrades as much as possible. I was hoping to run them either just over summer break or, if needed, over winter break as well which based on spulukas answer seems like it would suffice.