Routing

View Only
last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  BGP route advertisement in JUNOS

Posted 02-11-2013 00:09

Hello, im new in JUNOS.

I tried to configure external BGP in simple topology [R1(as1)]-[R2(as2)]-[R3(as3)].

The configuration is almost default.

R1 and R3 routers have the export policy: with from proto static and direct. R2 don't have any policy - so R2 should advertise all routes from BGP process to both neighbors.

So the Question is: Why Router 2 BGP in JUNOS doesnt advertise R1-R2 connected subnet to R3 when no import/export policy on R2 is configured.

In CISCO R3 sees the connected R1/R2 subnet when no policy or redistribution is configured on R2.

I hope you guys understood the question.

Thanks.

is this advertise-inactive command influence ?

#bgpadvertisiment

• 2.  RE: BGP route advertisement in JUNOS
    Best Answer

Posted 02-11-2013 06:02

hi,

from R2 point of view, R1-R2 subnet is known as direct route, not BGP one. BGP route is inactive. Just check 'show route R1-R2-prefix detail' . Yesadvertise-inactive may be helpful here.

jtb

• 3.  RE: BGP route advertisement in JUNOS

Posted 02-11-2013 06:20

Thanks!

maybe somewhere there are more differences between CISCO and JUNOS default behaviour listed like this... at some site?

• 4.  RE: BGP route advertisement in JUNOS

Posted 02-11-2013 06:26

Hello,

Years ago, I found out that the single best source describing the differences between JUNOS ans IOS (but not IOS-XE or IOS-XR) is the book by W.Goralski titled "Juniper and Cisco Routing: Policy and Protocols for Multivendor IP Networks"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Juniper-Cisco-Routing-Protocols-Multivendor/dp/0471215929 

HTH

Thanks

Alex