Switching

View Only
last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  EX4600 Halt / Power Down

Posted 09-25-2020 05:15

I just started using EX4600s, and have found an interesting anomaly.  If I issue the command "request system power-off" or "request system halt", the systems stops, but I do not get the prompt "hit any key to restart" like I do on other EX series switches.  The only way to restart the switch appears to be pulling the power cords out and putting them back in.  Is there anyway to remote restart an EX4600 switch?

#EX4600

• 2.  RE: EX4600 Halt / Power Down

Posted 09-25-2020 05:35

Hi,

Have you tried 

request system reboot

If this solves your problem, please mark this post as "Accepted Solution."

• 3.  RE: EX4600 Halt / Power Down

Posted 09-25-2020 05:46

I understand the reboot command, but this is not what we used.  We remotely powered off the units, because we thought we were finished and ready to hand them over.  Then we discovered additional configuration that was required.  Normally, we would just open the console and hit a key to restart an EX series switch, but that does not appear to be the case with an EX4600.

• 4.  RE: EX4600 Halt / Power Down
    Best Answer

Posted 09-25-2020 10:40

Hi cdjny,

Greetings, Unfortunately, this behavior is expected for these platforms: QFX5100&EX4600, as they use the same Broadcom chipset and Linux-host infrastructure. Linux-host system halt requires the user to hit the power button to reboot.  

This issue was tracked in: PR950910 and it is a platform limitation 

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/reference/command-summary/request-system-halt.html

When you issue this command on a QFX5100 switch, you are not prompted to reboot. You must power cycle the switch to reboot.

EX4600 should be included in this statement as well for the reasons I mentioned above 

If this solves your problem, please mark this post as "Accepted Solution" so we can help others too \:)/

Regards,

Lil Dexx
    JNCIE-ENT#863, 3X JNCIP-[SP-ENT-DC], 4X JNCIA [cloud-DevOps-Junos-Design], Champions Ingenius, SSYB

• 5.  RE: EX4600 Halt / Power Down

Posted 09-25-2020 12:30

Thanks for the explanation!