Switching

View Only
last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  NULL ifd for bcm port

Posted 01-21-2019 07:52

Hi, I have two EX2300-48. running 15.1X53-D59.3 in virtualchasis,   All of my logs are full of these, there are 27  lines per second.

Dec 22 06:25:06 switch-md1 dc-pfe: BRCM_SALM:brcm_salm_l2_addr_process_notif(),380: NULL ifd for bcm port = 0 ,device no = 3 
    Dec 22 06:25:06 switch-md1 fpc1 BRCM_SALM:brcm_salm_l2_addr_process_notif(),380: NULL ifd for bcm port = 0 ,device no = 0 
    Dec 22 06:25:06 switch-md1 fpc0 BRCM_SALM:brcm_salm_l2_addr_process_notif(),380: NULL ifd for bcm port = 0 ,device no = 3 
    Dec 22 06:25:06 switch-md1 dc-pfe: BRCM_SALM:brcm_salm_l2_addr_process_notif(),380: NULL ifd for bcm port = 0 ,device no = 3 
    Dec 22 06:25:06 switch-md1 fpc1 BRCM_SALM:brcm_salm_l2_addr_process_notif(),380: NULL ifd for bcm port = 0 ,device no = 0 
    Dec 22 06:25:06 switch-md1 fpc0 BRCM_SALM:brcm_salm_l2_addr_process_notif(),380: NULL ifd for bcm port = 0 ,device no = 3 

The oldest record is December 22 and I continue to receive these records, they do not stop at any time.

I searched in google and I didn't find anything about this messages. What can be a reason? Thank you!

• 2.  RE: NULL ifd for bcm port

Posted 01-21-2019 10:39

Was there a config change on Dec 22 related to channelization and de-channelization of a port? These messages may be occurring due to that config change, and they should be harmless.

show system commit >> check for commit on Dec 22 = x

show system rollback compare x x-1

• 3.  RE: NULL ifd for bcm port

Posted 11-06-2019 08:55

Have you figure it out what the cause of these messages? I am experiencing the exact samething since I have upgrade a virtual chassis of 4 ex2300-48p to 15.1X53-D591.1.  The eventd process cause performance issues as the CPU is alway 90% and over most of the time. 😞 

• 4.  RE: NULL ifd for bcm port

Posted 05-06-2020 11:14

I too have this issue on many of my EX2300 switch devices.

I see it on the devices that I have not upgraded yet. 

JUNOS 15.1X53-D590.1 is see it

JUNOS 18.2R3-S2.9 does not have this issue.

I plan to upgrade but it will take time.

This command will remove/block it from the logs:

set system syslog file messages match "!(.*BRCM_SALM:brcm_salm_l2_addr_process_notif().*)"

But I would still like to know what it is referring to and if there is another way to stop it.

• 5.  RE: NULL ifd for bcm port

Posted 05-06-2020 12:38

Hello Guillermo, All,

These messages are frequently seen on 15.1X code in EX2300 Virtual chassis.

These logs are debug messages and are reported when mac add failures are seen for remotely learned mac addresses, specifically the learn/delete process for remote MAC addresses.
    The message basically means that the IFD is not found for the port, as at this time port is undergoing conversion.
    These kinds of messages are informational and harmless.

Since they are for debug, there is no fix in order to eliminate these messages from Syslog

One possible way of dealing with these messages would be to filter them from the log file.
    The instructions detailed in the article below will help you achieve this goal:

https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB9382&actp=METADATA&act=login 

Command:-

set system syslog file messages match "!(.*BRCM_SALM:brcm_salm_l2_addr_process_notif().*)"

Please apply this filter and then monitor the behavior of the device.

I hope this helps. Please mark "Accept as solution" if this answers your query. 

Kudos are appreciated too! 

Best Regards,

Lingabasappa H

#EX2300

• 6.  RE: NULL ifd for bcm port

Posted 05-06-2020 13:24

Good info.  Is there a PR to get these messages hidden in a future release of SW?

Thanks

• 7.  RE: NULL ifd for bcm port

Posted 05-06-2020 13:36

Hello Rccpgm,

Thanks for giving me kudos for the solution.

As of now, there is no PR that hides the above logs. If there is any PR raised for these logs, I will update the same on this thread.

As far as my understanding goes, these messages are not seen on the Recommended Version of EX2300. 

In case if you don't wish to Apply the Syslog filter, upgrade the device to a stabilized and recommended version.

Best Regards,
    Lingabasappa H

• 8.  RE: NULL ifd for bcm port

Posted 05-06-2020 17:59

If you can confirmed not seen in 18.2R3-S2+ that would be great to know.

Thanks

• 9.  RE: NULL ifd for bcm port

Posted 05-06-2020 18:40

Hello Rccpgm,

Greetings!.

Thanks for the reply.

As far as my understanding goes, the log messages are suppressed in 18.2R3-S2 and above versions. The issue shouldn't be seen on the 18.2 release as it is the recommended Junos version for EX2300 specifically.

Link for Junos Software Versions - Suggested Releases to Consider and Evaluate

https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=kb21476&act=login#ex_series

In may JTAC cases, I see the customers have upgraded the device to solve the issue.

Also, From the above comment section by @NYSED-netadm, he has faced the same issue and claims he has got it resolved by upgrading the device to 18.2R3-S2.9.

Hope this helps. Hit a Kudos if you felt this as informative.

Best Regards,

Lingabasappa H

• 10.  RE: NULL ifd for bcm port

Posted 05-07-2020 06:53

I would mark as "Accepted as Solution" but I think only originated can do this - Thanks.

• 11.  RE: NULL ifd for bcm port

Posted 05-07-2020 07:26

Hello Rccpgm,

Thanks for appreciating me with kudos.

Hey Guillermo.gerbatin,

Please go through the conversation and comments and let me know that answers your query. 

If you find the answers to be precise and correct, please mark the solution as accepted which will help others to go through the solution given by me.

Best Regards,

Lingabasappa H