Switching

View Only

IMPORTANT MODERATION NOTICE

This community is currently under full moderation, meaning  all posts will be reviewed before appearing in the community. Please expect a brief delay—there is no need to post multiple times. If your post is rejected, you'll receive an email outlining the reason(s). We've implemented full moderation to control spam. Thank you for your patience and participation.

• 1.  Upgrade Junos on EX3400 with skipping the upgrade path possible?

Posted 06-13-2022 13:27
    Hello,

can I shorten the installation/upgrade time of a virtual chassis with 6 EX3400 members with skipping some Junos versions?
    What I mean is the following: At the moment the switches runs with a 18.1 version. If I follow the upgrade path from 18.1 --> 18.4. --> 19.3 --> 20.4. every member has 3 upgrade installations. I think this will need a lot of times. My idea is now to install the new Junos version via USB or TFTP directly (the down time and broken VC is uncritical in this scenario, I have physical access to all members) with a clean formatting of the internal storage. Is this possible or exists some dependencies with e.g. hardware firmware upgrade steps, "integrated circuit " updates steps or something other? After all members have been installed the new version I will than rebuild the virtual chassis with the suitable configuration (I hope there a no great changes with new Junos version that are relevant to my configuration ... :-) )

thanks for your tips and answers

greetings fpsysman

• 2.  RE: Upgrade Junos on EX3400 with skipping the upgrade path possible?

Posted 06-13-2022 15:49

Best bet is almost always to do it the official way, perhaps it will take you alittle bit longer, but will save alot of headache that can be experienced if you take shortcuts.

People have recommended shortcuts before with just upgrading to latest version and said "Try it one, see if it works, then  do it on the rest".

If there is a specific feature you're looking to verify if it's working, you can check that here: https://apps.juniper.net/feature-explorer/

I would probably recommend to:

-If nothing is critical:

-upgrade and dont worry about it. Use CLI and just get it over with, it'll take you longer to wonder what the best way of doing it is, rather than just doing it. 

-Reboot everything after you've upgraded everything. 

-Have console access while you're doing it, if configuration fails because of a config version issue, the device can fail to commit and rollback to a unconfigured state. (Lost management)

-If it is critical:
                     -NSSU, but it will take longer, and if you're not familiar with it you'll need to read and perhaps test abit.
                     Check info available here: https://www.juniper.net/documentation/us/en/software/junos/junos-install-upgrade/topics/topic-map/install-software-on-ex.html#id-installing-software-on-an-ex-series-switch-with-a-single-routing-engine-cli-procedure

------------------------------
    Michael Behrns
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Upgrade Junos on EX3400 with skipping the upgrade path possible?

Posted 06-15-2022 05:20
    Hello,

many thanks for your hints.

greetings fpsysman

• 4.  RE: Upgrade Junos on EX3400 with skipping the upgrade path possible?

Posted 06-15-2022 05:20
    Hi,

If you are using the formatting and then installation of the 20.4 code then there should not be any harm in doing so and I dont think there will be any dependency on the hardware as far as format installation of the code is concerned.