Automation

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about Apstra, Paragon, and all things network automation.

Getting paramiko SSH authentication error while trying to StartShell in PyEZ when connected to device via a console server, works fine through the management IP network

• 1.  Getting paramiko SSH authentication error while trying to StartShell in PyEZ when connected to device via a console server, works fine through the management IP network

Posted 03-07-2018 07:39

I am attempting to run some scripts on an NFX250 through a serial connection. I need to use the StartShell module (which internally uses paramiko) as I want to make changes to some files from the shell which cannot be directly accessed by the CLI. 

from jnpr.junos import Device
    from jnpr.junos.utils.start_shell import StartShell

dev = Device(host='10.10.10.11',port="7018",mode="telnet", user='root', password='xyz')
    dev.open()

with StartShell(dev) as ss:

ret, got=ss.run('cli')
            print(got+"\n")
    dev.close()

I am getting the following error message

root@dc71:~/ztp_dir# python final_ztp.py 
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "final_ztp.py", line 6, in <module>
        with StartShell(dev) as ss:
      File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/jnpr/junos/utils/start_shell.py", line 162, in __enter__
        self.open()
      File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/jnpr/junos/utils/start_shell.py", line 93, in open
        password=junos._auth_password,
      File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/paramiko/client.py", line 424, in connect
        passphrase,
      File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/paramiko/client.py", line 714, in _auth
        raise saved_exception
    paramiko.ssh_exception.BadAuthenticationType: ('Bad authentication type', [u'publickey', u'keyboard-interactive']) (allowed_types=[u'publickey', u'keyboard-interactive'])

When I tried running the script manually using the python shell, I got the error while opening the StartShell connection.

>>> 
    >>> from jnpr.junos import Device
    >>> from jnpr.junos.utils.start_shell import StartShell
    >>> dev = Device(host='10.10.10.11',port="7018",mode="telnet", user='root', password='xyz')
    >>> dev.open()
    Device(10.10.10.11)
    >>> ss=StartShell(dev)
    >>> ss.open()
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
      File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/jnpr/junos/utils/start_shell.py", line 93, in open
        password=junos._auth_password,
      File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/paramiko/client.py", line 424, in connect
        passphrase,
      File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/paramiko/client.py", line 714, in _auth
        raise saved_exception
    paramiko.ssh_exception.BadAuthenticationType: ('Bad authentication type', [u'publickey', u'keyboard-interactive']) (allowed_types=[u'publickey', u'keyboard-interactive'])
    >>> 

This is not exclusive to NFX250 and I am facing the same issue with an EX2200 as well. The error states "BadAuthenticationType" but the same script works fine if I run it on the management IP instead of the telnet console server, with the same username and password. Need to make changes to a recently zeroized device (hence using console connection).

I would be grateful if anyone can help me troubleshoot this. Thank you.

#console
    #pyez
    #serial
    #paramiko