Routing

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  Can I use fxpo interface ?

Posted 03-30-2012 09:02

I was thinking about using the fxpo interface on MX80 [ only 100Mb interface available ] to an IPS Management interface.

It seem slike this can be treated as a regular interface if need be. Any down side to this ?

From KB19710 :

"While you can configure static and dynamic routing protocols that will use this interface based on the interface configuration and route lookups, any configuration that is not part of out-of-band management (Telnet/SSH for configuration, FTP to/from the router, SNMP/CFLOWD/monitoring devices, etc) is NOT supported by Juniper and should not be used."

Can anyone clarify the last parts of this statement ?

Thanks,

Pete

#fxpo
    #MX80
    #fxp

• 2.  RE: Can I use fxpo interface ?
    Best Answer

Posted 04-01-2012 06:46

I haven't tested the MX80, but it's almost certainly the same as the rest of the M/MX/T series and *can not* be used for transit traffic.

fxp0 (at least on the rest of the range) is not  connected to the forwarding plane, but is only another NIC on the routing engine, packets would have to traverse the RE in software which would be fairly painful.

Is a copper SFP not an option?