SRX

IMPORTANT MODERATION NOTICE

This community is currently under full moderation, meaning  all posts will be reviewed before appearing in the community. Please expect a brief delay—there is no need to post multiple times. If your post is rejected, you'll receive an email outlining the reason(s). We've implemented full moderation to control spam. Thank you for your patience and participation.

Expand all | Collapse all

Advertising Static route Discard via BGP showing as hidden

• 1.  Advertising Static route Discard via BGP showing as hidden

Posted 08-05-2021 16:16
    Hi,

I have a requirement where I need to create a source NAT pool where the addresses/prefixes are not built on any interfaces. I then need to advertise this NAT pool via BGP to an adjacent SRX4600.

To get around this I have created a static route with next-hop discard to install the route in the table. I then add the NAT pool network to a policy statement and apply this to the BGP peer export list.

The problem is on the adjacent SRX4600 the NAT pool route only shows when running show route receive-protocol bgp hidden. Why is this route showing as hidden and what could be the workaround so it appears as an active route?

------------------------------
    Jack

• 2.  RE: Advertising Static route Discard via BGP showing as hidden

Posted 08-06-2021 08:53
    If this is an iBGP session you might need to add the next hop self to the policy for the advertisement.

Steve Puluka BSEET - Juniper Ambassador
    IP Architect - DQE Communications Pittsburgh, PA (Metro Ethernet & ISP)
    http://puluka.com/home

• 3.  RE: Advertising Static route Discard via BGP showing as hidden

Posted 08-09-2021 13:20

You will need to create a Policy Statement for the addresses/prefixes to be received on the SRX4600 for it to be an active route. And then you import the policy statement into the BGP Protocol.

Evan

Network Engineer

Evan Kurniawan

• 4.  RE: Advertising Static route Discard via BGP showing as hidden

Posted 08-09-2021 13:20
    If this eBGP, you might need to create a Policy Statement for the addresses/prefixes to be received on the SRX4600 for it to be an active route. And then you import the policy statement into the BGP Protocol at SRX4600.

Evan
    Network Engineer

Evan Kurniawan