Junos OS

IMPORTANT MODERATION NOTICE

This community is currently under full moderation, meaning  all posts will be reviewed before appearing in the community. Please expect a brief delay—there is no need to post multiple times. If your post is rejected, you'll receive an email outlining the reason(s). We've implemented full moderation to control spam. Thank you for your patience and participation.

Expand all | Collapse all

Redundant internet connection

• 1.  Redundant internet connection

Posted 10-29-2020 03:04

Hi, please suggest me which way is the best to achieve what I need as I kinda lost in the variants. It's probably a trivial question so the reply is probably just a link to the right article on topic.

I have the SRX 3xx as a gateway device. Hoster provides it with two Internet connections, e. g. two default routes. The device has several external subnets configured. I'm trying to figure how to:

1. Make some of the subnets working on both external links. It doesn't look like I can just set up the same subnets on both interfaces. It doesn't look like VRRP will help either. What else? Set up a separate routing instance? Set the subnets on lo0 and include it into the same security-zone as the internet links?

2. Make the internet connection redundant, e. g. stop using the default route in case it fails/start using it once it is available. What's here? Set the rpm probes?

3. Give the replies from the same external interface the request arrived on. Should I bother about it at all?

#SRX
    #redundancy

• 2.  Re: Redundant internet connection

Posted 10-29-2020 03:43

@andrei_C, I seen your reply which is now deleted (?). My question is much more simple than the one you answering to. I'm not trying to build a redundant solution on my own with the dynamic routing and whatnot. I'm just trying to utilize what I have in the right way (e. g. what would you do with two default routes in my case).

• 3.  Re: Redundant internet connection

Posted 10-30-2020 11:51

Hello,

In this case it's very strain forward way 

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/release-independent/nce/topics/task/configuration/internet-protocol-route-monitoring.html

PS:

Depending on how "critical" is for your Intenet availability - I would consider a 2nd ISP.

The formula I found some time ago is very simple - take the price of new ISP uplink and the "loss $" in case you lose your 1st ISP? If the amount of "loss $" is high then price 🙂 - you need it - if not - ignore it 🙂

PPS:

I also noted that my posts are somehow dropped ... maybe I am doing something wrong ;(

BR

Andrei