Switching

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  Virtual Chassis Help

Posted 07-10-2009 12:12

Hello All -

I have a set of 3 EX 4200's in a virtual chassis.  I want the top switch to be the Master, the middle one to be Backup, and the third to be the Linecard.  I have set the priorities in JUNOS and when I turn on the Master and backup they behave as normal.  However, when I power on the last switch, it becomes backup and I do not want that.  How can I stop this from happening?  I thought if I set the priority then the backup would always stay the same?  

How can I force the second switch to stay as backup when the last one is booted up?

Thanks

#chassis
    #virtual
    #EX

• 2.  RE: Virtual Chassis Help

Posted 07-10-2009 20:15

Hi,

What are the priorities your using?  How are they connected (i.e. VCP's).  I would try "show virtual-chassis status" to check the connectivity and priorities.  Have a look at the link below...

http://kb.juniper.net/index?page=content&id=KB10478&actp=search&searchid=1247281841667

-John

• 3.  RE: Virtual Chassis Help
    Best Answer

Posted 07-12-2009 18:56

John,

Thanks for the information.  I solved the issue by using the renumber command.  My second switch in the stack needed to be renumbered to "1" so that it would be seen as the backup and consequently I assigned it a priority of 254 as well.  This allowed the last switch in the stack to take id number "2" and also be a linecard. 

• 4.  RE: Virtual Chassis Help

Posted 07-12-2009 19:14
    Excellent, I'm glad you got it working...