vMX

IMPORTANT MODERATION NOTICE

This community is currently under full moderation, meaning  all posts will be reviewed before appearing in the community. Please expect a brief delay—there is no need to post multiple times. If your post is rejected, you'll receive an email outlining the reason(s). We've implemented full moderation to control spam. Thank you for your patience and participation.

Expand all | Collapse all

Does number of vMX instances influence the number of licenses or type of licenses needed?

• 1.  Does number of vMX instances influence the number of licenses or type of licenses needed?

Posted 22 days ago

Hi,

I'm trying to understand what type of order to submit for vMX

At this point, I haven't decided on Base or Advance.
    So let's say I order Base, and the VMX-100M Perpetual 100 Mbps bandwidth license; (supports 50 VPN instances (L3VPN technologies), and 256,000 routing information base (RIB) and forwarding information base (FIB) entries)

What does it mean in practical terms?
    I can have as many instances of vMX as I like, but only one 100Mbps link throught my entire vMX network?

If that's the case, what I should do is order multiples of VMX-100M?

Similarly, if I get the VMX-ADV-1G, it works the same way?

I feel Juniper should forward resolve these type of queries by giving a few examples in the Datasheet, which at this point is a little confusing re: ordering

Can anyone shine a light? Hoping to understand a little more as it won't be me making the actual order

Thanks

------------------------------
    David Glynn

• 2.  RE: Does number of vMX instances influence the number of licenses or type of licenses needed?

Posted 22 days ago
    The Juniper license is per device.

So for each vMX you want to run you need a license.

The limits you note are then for the specific device on which the license is installed.

Steve Puluka BSEET - Juniper Ambassador
    IP Architect - DQE Communications Pittsburgh, PA (Metro Ethernet & ISP)
    http://puluka.com/home

• 3.  RE: Does number of vMX instances influence the number of licenses or type of licenses needed?

Posted 19 days ago
    Thanks Steve!

David Glynn